Who's That NPC!

Discussion in 'Events' started by Naruki, Jul 1, 2015.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 6 users.
  1. Naruki

Naruki Well-Known Member Senior Member Backer Parkour Adept

Local Time:
    8:58 PM
    Welcome to the the event!
    [​IMG]
    Want to a have a chance to name a character that might be in the final game? Then now is your time to enter!
    All you have to do is comment under this post, with the name / character traits you think best fits these NPC's!
    Note: We are also looking for descriptive attributes / back stories to fit these characters.​

The NPC's

- Gondola Guide
    - Armorer
    - Clothier
    - Weaponsmith
    - Miscellaneous

The names can be clever, they can be funny, the sky is the limit!​
    The only thing we ask is that you be semi-serious with the naming and be sure to have fun!

The Prizes
    - Warframe Seven Day Credit + Affinity Booster Packs
    - Wildstar Standard Edition
    - World of Warships Closed Beta Key
    - World of Tanks Invite Code
    - World of Warships Bonus Content
    - SMITE Loki Pack
    - SMITE Xbox One Closed Beta

Note:
    The First Place Winner will choose his prize, and then Second to insure fairness.

This event ends July 18th, 2015 & the Top Five Winners will be announced on July 21, 2015.
    Follow this thread to see who is the Winners will be.
    Good Luck!
    This event is hosted on the behalf of,
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2015
  2. flamedog

flamedog Draeanale Senior Member Indiegogo Backer Parkour Master

Local Time:
    EDIT: I'm still sticking with Skye.

For the record the answer to who that NPC is below. :3 It was real fun to make both : p
  3. Lunex

Lunex Bloody Lunatic... Senior Member Indiegogo Backer

Local Time:
    Too bad about the serious naming thing, I would like to use more aliases from Whose Line.
  4. flamedog

Local Time:
    I go by many names... Mountain slayer.. Thunder lion... The Chocolate axe.... But you... you may call me TIFFANY.
  5. Lunex

Local Time:
    I'll submit Lodima Morgan for the Gondola Guide. Purely from looking up name meanings online, the name translates into something to the effect of "guide of the sea circle." I honestly just tried to find names that described the job. I picked the female name Lodima because I figure we might attempt to balance out male to female ratios in NPC's.

Also, Flame's quote has nothing to do with Whose Line. I was a bit disappointed by this.
    Naruki and Cerberuspaw like this.
  6. Quine

Quine Well-Known Member Senior Member

Local Time:
    10:58 PM
    - Weaponsmith

Name: Fhokrath
    Back: He became a weaponsmith because someone helped him in a moment of need. He's lazy and doesn't like to work, so he does his weapons close to the time of the "Deadline"

Traits: Someone who's lazy to work, so he spend most of his time talking about things with his clients. Not one gentle, but one loyal. He's fat because he drinks too much and don't workout because he's doing "Close to deadline forgery"

His name is Pronounced: Fo Craf
    You could say: Foul Craft.
    But his weapons are not foul, is just that he's... well... not one heroic...
  7. Lunex

Local Time:
    Points for the dedication it took to write the backstory.
  8. Naruki

Naruki Well-Known Member Senior Member Backer Parkour Adept

Local Time:
    - Update -

After talking it over with the other, [The World] Committee members we have decided to take off the, "One Entry Only" restriction.

We also added a fifth NPC titled, "Miscellaneous".
    You can give any backstory and description to this character.
  9. flamedog

Local Time:
    I'd like to bring to the table for the Miscellaneous field...
    A cat girl named Anzu. She is very mischievous but can be sweet at times if you get on her good side.

flamedog no good at backstorying... welp
    EDIT: Still bad but not as bad as no story : 3!

Anzu - MISC.

Anzu wasn't always a semi human. Since birth Anzu was a house cat who watch over her families only son. Due to certain circumstances not related to Anzu the son didn't have many if at all any friends. So spending most of his time with Anzu they become wonderful friends with a strong bond one day allowed her to take on the form of a human girl with cat ears and split tail(one tail leading to two ends) otherwise known as a Nekomata. Now becoming of something like a big sister to the only son she is very loving towards him but can be very mischievous as well.
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2015
    Naruki, Cerberuspaw and calmchaos like this.
  10. Lunex

Local Time:
    I was gonna do a misc. but who am I to deprive flame of a catgirl?

Anyways, for the Armorer I propose the name "Vulcanus Ducaid." (Given name from the Roman god of blacksmithing Vulcan) Once upon a time, Vulcanus aspired to be a famous adventurer. But on his first day he ran into a mob and the armor he was wearing failed him in his time of need. Returning to town after having been scratched, beaten, and bitten within an inch of his life, he gave up his dream of adventuring. But his failure sparked a fear and hatred for monsters, as well as a new desire to make armors that would not fail him like his did. And since that day, he has spent countless hours shaping leather and steel to serve adventurers so that they would not meet his fate.

I figure if we ever add monster parts for crafting he gets all giddy learning that you killed even a weakling and if there's a quest that requires monster parts he starts shaking and tries to duck and cover.

Also I ask a again, by clothier do you mean a tailor?
    Naruki and Cerberuspaw like this.
  11. calmchaos

calmchaos Moderator Staff Member Senior Member

Local Time:
    7:58 PM
  12. Cerberuspaw

Cerberuspaw Senior Member Senior Member Indiegogo Backer

Local Time:
    7:58 PM
    @Lunex clothier will be responsible for changing characters visually vs the armorer who will only affect stats. So yes a tailor in a sense but I don't believe it is limited to cloth.
  13. flamedog

Local Time:
    So like a pay store
    Well the potion seller is a kemonomimi(in short animal properties such as tails and ears) girl ^_^ You can talk Misc.. then again I thought of Misc just as something that could be any category or a category not listed. So I don't see a reason why we can't have more.. but I'm most likely under thinking it.. welp.
  14. Keramory

Keramory Guest

Local Time:
    5:58 PM
    Tailor also works.
    And no not a pay store. Remember equipping armor does not change the look of your character. The method to change your character's appearance is via the Tailor in town.
  15. flamedog

Local Time:
    For the record.. it's:
    • Armor - Stat based changes but no appearance changes
    • Clothing/Armor that changes your appearance
    • possible pay shop for cosmetics ?
  16. Xyran

Xyran Active Member Senior Member

Local Time:
    I don't know how in-depth of a backstory is wanted exactly for characters, and if it is needed the one I came up with can be shortened extensively, but here's what I've got for an idea for the Gondola Guide

Name: Waterlogged Silus (Nickname character picked up through life)

Backstory: Born to a small farming family in a small house that was built alongside a river, he was the youngest of his family with 3 older siblings, 2 brothers and a sister. His brothers names were Sage, and Kunal, and his sisters name was Sorrel. Silus and his brothers didn't get along all that well, and his sister wasn't really one for talking. His brothers would often pull pranks during daily life, but they mostly ended up just throwing him in the river flowing alongside their home. That "prank" became something he waited for, he enjoyed being in and around the water, it provided a feeling of peace in him.
    Throughout most of his childhood and teenage years, he could always be found down by the river whenever he had any spare time in the day between his daily chores. The water soon became more to him shortly after reaching adulthood, it became his savior when his home was attacked by bandits and thieves. While he was at the far side of the river from swimming across, bandits came and began killing livestock and burning down the crops that were nearly ready for harvest.
    Seeing what was going on he quickly swam back across to try and stop what was happening to his home, arming himself with a pitchfork he charged one of the bandits, but resulted in a broken handle in his hand, and a blade coming down the side of his face from his right eye, to the back of his right ear. Him and his siblings were then gathered up, bound, and thrown into the river. Silus, being so familiar with the water knew how the currents were and was able to get himself up to the surface to breath as he was floating down away from his home which was slowly turning to ashes.
    He ended up passing out and floating down the river for the next few hours, when he awoke, he found himself on the shore of the river just a few miles from a town. Fighting the bonds that were used to bind him, he managed to break free and stumbled into town, he had barely enough money to buy a small amount of food and water before he went back to the remnants of his home. When he had reached the remnants of where his home was, he saw several monsters around the burnt remains of the house, and the bodies of many of the bandits and thieves who had attacked his home. He dropped to his knees and sat there a while before returning to the town to find a place to stay and work.
    He started off as a fisherman, and followed that trade for the next 5 years before realizing what it was he wanted to do. After realizing that, he quickly set up shop as a Gondola Guide. Whenever he was taking people around the waterways of the town, he would always talk about the waters beauty, and his favorite memories involving bodies of water. He was always polite and respectful to everyone he interacted with. He is also easily recognizable by the long curved scar on his face. He finds nothing more joyful than being on the water.

Physical features: Relatively skinny, Short black hair, with eyes that are a mix of very light blue and gray, curved scar going from his right eye to the back of his right ear, and typically wears a gray beret,

Hope you guys find use in my input, even though it is a bit overdone.
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2015
  17. Quine

Quine Well-Known Member Senior Member

Local Time:
    10:58 PM
    Waterlogged, lol.
  18. Xyran

Local Time:
    Clothier idea

Name: Dexterous Cecil

Backstory: Cecil grew up in the poorer side of the town he grew up in, and whenever he went to the market looking for small jobs that the stores needed done, he would occasionally see people come through in elaborate clothing of different colors and styles, and would stare in awe at the work that went into the elegant designs. He wondered how people could make such intricate designs, and create such wonderfully colored clothing. After pondering that question for a few days, he sought out one of the local tailors, and wished to be taken as an apprentice in the trade, it took a lot of convincing before he would be taken as an apprentice.. And a sum of money. Throughout the next 2 years, Cecil learned all his mentor had to teach and set up a small tailor shop that he ran for the next 3 1/2 years before seeing the elaborate clothing of the more well off citizens of the town, which then refueled his desire to create much more elegant clothing. He began experimenting with clothing design, trying to copy the way the clothing looked with no prevail.
    He then closed down his shop, and sought out one of the few tailors in the richer parts of the town. When he asked around about becoming an apprentice to these tailors, they only laughed and told him that they would not teach someone from the "slums" of the city. After that, he went into seclusion with books regarding art forms, and spent most of his time experimenting, trying to create his own specific designs and styles to give himself a recognizable name among tailors. He spent many years experimenting with it, before he began to have some success. He reopened his shop and began putting out some clothing with the style and designs he came up with, many of his original customers from when he first opened his store came by to look at these new clothes he was putting out for sale. He quickly built a name for himself as one of the most originative designers of the area.

Physical traits: Tall and wiry, messy gray hair, dark brown eyes, and a constant smile

Hope you guys enjoy it, and feel free to criticize. Personally the names are my weak point.
    Cerberuspaw and Naruki like this.
  19. Xyran

Local Time:
    Miscellaneous

Name: Demented Dravic (pronounced Dray-vic or Draw-vic depending which is preferred)

Backstory: Dravic wasn't always the way he currently is, his ailment of insanity began towards the end of his adventuring years, because a man can only see so much death and violence before he begins to lose his grip on reality. Many of those he fought alongside with, perished beside him. Those who he would adventure with were people he had built friendships with in prior years, and even the day before it didn't matter how shortly, or how long he had known the person, as long as they could be relied on in battle.
    He developed a thirst for adventure and glory which grew worse and worse after he decided to try to build a name as an adventurer, going after more and more deadly beasts, recruiting whomever he could to embark on these endeavors with. Few of these adventurers were wise to leave his company before they ended up setting out on a path that would only lead them to their own demise, these adventurers lived much longer lives than those who travelled with Dravic.
    On this last adventure before he finally lost all sense of normality within his mind, he brought his most trusted, and closest friends, several of which he had known since he was a small boy. They were out to hunt down the deadliest of the monsters in the area, which there was no chance of them being able to defeat, right before he left town on this march that would lead to the slaughter of his friends and comrades, he boasted about how he would be the one to finally take down the beast. After they set out, some of the members of the party began to have second thoughts, but the thoughts of fame from being members of the first party to take down such a beast quickly drowned out other thoughts.
    When they arrived at the field where they would do battle with the beast, they shook nervously as it turned and faced them, letting out a roar that was indescribably terrifying, causing many to lose their nerve, but freezing where they stood. Some of the more foolish members of the party charged it instantaneously, the beast being un-phased by the pathetic attempts of an attack, swung at the adventurers shattering the bones in their bodies with its hammer-like hands. As the more foolhardy adventurers charged, the more the morale of the group declined. Dravic with his remaining circle of comrades consisting of his close friends, charged the beast. They fared much better than the rest of the group who charged it out of panicked frenzy.
    To their own dismay, and much as well to the beast's, they were wounding it. Working together to get close enough to land hits, soon became insufficient as the beast was picking up on their tactic. The beast changed it's strategy of attack, and soon took down the rest of the group of adventurers. Dravic was the only one not slain by the beast in its change of attack due to him standing just at the edge of the attack, but not enough to leave him unscathed, it heavily indented his armor, breaking a piece which then pierced into his side. He stood, in the center of the pile of carcasses that used to be his close friends, and dropped to his knees. The beast swung once more, and sent Dravic bouncing across the field, the initial impact rendering him unconscious and with brain damage. More than a day went by before he regained consciousness and remembered what had happened, remembering the faces of his friends who lost their lives due to his own thirst for glory, he snapped. He began to beat his gauntlet into his head in dismay, increasing the damage done from the final strike the beast made.
    His sanity had left him.

After that failed endeavor, and with the loss of his sanity, he could be found wandering aimlessly throughout the town, mumbling incoherently, or shouting randomly, whether it be at people or inanimate objects.

Physical traits: Average height, messy brown hair, visible indents on his head, hazel eyes, and tattered clothing.

Here's a third for you guys. Kind of really overdid this one and wasn't written in the proper style that would read as the past. I really enjoy writing which is probably why these backstories are rather long and I do apologize for that.
    Hope you guys enjoy the backstory!
    Cerberuspaw and Naruki like this.
  20. Xyran

Local Time:
    Well, because I have nothing going on through most of the time, I'm going to come up with another possible character idea. Plus these are fun to do. Note: You guys will experience some feels. Another Note: Sometimes a backstory like this builds a strong mental image for a characters life, and how they respond to these occurrences.
    Dedicate this one to flamedog for wanting a cat girl npc.

Miscellaneous

Name: Faith

Backstory: Most of Faith's past was a mystery to those around her, for she didn't find interest in speaking about it, as her childhood was traumatic. She grew up in the inner parts of the city as an only child to a young couple who were childhood sweethearts. Faith's parent's grew up having faith that the future would be bright and welcoming, and even more so after they started a family together. The name they gave her reflected how they lived life, and on how they hoped her life would go. A life built on faith that the world would always provide what is necessary to live, and even a few extra blessings along the way for added comfort.
    But thing's didn't turn out the way they had hoped, and their faith soon began to fall apart. Faith's mother Sasha suddenly fell ill with a severe illness, one which most people couldn't survive no matter how well they were taken care of, and regardless of what kind of medical attention was provided. All they could do was have faith that she could be one of the people who could overcome the illness. Over the next few weeks, she began to show "improvement", but all that had happened was the ailment had become temporarily benign. After a few days Faith's mother believed that she was finally well enough to leave their home, and told them that she was going to go out to get some fresh air along the edge of a river near town. After walking next to the river for a while tragedy happened. The illness came back with aggressive force, and resulted in her losing consciousness and falling into the river, never to be seen again.
    Faith's father became worried, since Sasha had not returned home for a while, went out to search for her. He went to where she had said she'd be, with no luck. He thought he had seen something, or someone floating down the river but didn't investigate. Faith was 10 at the time. After a couple days, Faith's father stopped eating, and would just sit on the edge of his bed and stare blankly at the wall. Faith kept doing her best to try and keep her father and herself going, she kept telling her father to have faith that she'd return. The only response this got her was an empty stare.
    She managed to get her father to start eating again after a week, she was always telling him that Sasha would return, and to keep his faith like they had taught her, and to never give up when things end up bleak. Faith was the only thing that kept her father going and moving forward. After a few weeks, even Faith began to think that her mother would never return, but she couldn't let her father know that. He was all she had left, and she needed to be strong for him so that she would be able to get him through this.
    A year passes, with no sign of Sasha. Faith and her father lose their faith that Sasha would return home. Their lives become full of silence, and Faith rarely went out to be with her friends anymore. Their family meals were filled with only the sounds from outside and the clanking of kitchenware. For the next 3 years this is how their lives go. But then, something happens, that begins to bring them up out of the darkness they had been in. Her father remarried. The woman he married, brought light into their lives, and gave them a re-established faith that things in the world will bring what is necessary to their lives.
    4 more years pass, and they had been living happily, with very few issues. They hadn't been this happy in years. Then the unthinkable happened. Sasha returned. She never returned, because she had no memory for a long time due to the disease, but every once in a while she'd had quick flashes of her past. She had also remarried, and had been living happily. The cause of the sudden return of her memories was the discussion of faith. The premise she had based her life on.
    Faith's parents discussed the past 8 years, and caught up on every little thing that happened.
    Faith never truly had a grasp on having faith in the world until this day, but after this day, she never doubted her faith in the world.

Physical attributes: White cat ears and white tail, stormy gray eyes, light purple dress, long blue hair, generally has a smile on her face

Personality: Cheerful, and innocent.

Hope you guys like it! This is probably the one I've put the most thought and time into, spent nearly 2 hours writing this, and about 20 minutes coming up with a name.
    flamedog, Naruki and Cerberuspaw like this.