To fix a crashing steam game?

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by Lunex, Oct 7, 2017.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 1 user.
  1. Lunex

Lunex Bloody Lunatic... Senior Member Indiegogo Backer

Local Time:
    6:15 PM
    Had some stuff sitting in my steam library and had time to get around to them, but the first one crashes in less than 10 minutes every time I try. Tried validating, but it crashed on menu.

About to un and reinstall, but if there's another solution I'm listening.
  2. flamedog

flamedog Draeanale Senior Member Indiegogo Backer Parkour Master

Local Time:
    What game... you need to be more specific!! :p

Reinstalling might fix it though.
    calmchaos likes this.
  3. Lunex

Local Time:
    Okay, it didn't work.

My next idea is to call in the priests and perform and exorcism.
  4. calmchaos

calmchaos Moderator Staff Member Senior Member

Local Time:
    5:15 PM
    Have you tried "Right Click" -> "Properties" -> "Local Files" -> Verify Integrity?

Before you reinstalled it, did you make sure to clear out any leftover files that the uninstall could have left and restart your computer to remove temp files and 100% clear all of it's data from your RAM?
    Unless you you know how to do those last two without a restart. I know it sounds obscure, but I've seen it cause issues in a couple games before.

If none of that fixes it, then it's a problem with how the game interacts with your computer rather than an issue with the game files.

What settings are you trying to run it on?
    Try changing some of the settings to see if that makes a difference since some games can cause crashes due to options conflicting with your comp specs (not to be mistaken with not having good enough specs, just certain types of CPUs/GPUs dislike certain game options).

When it crashes, is the program freezing and forcing you to manually kill it? Is it freezing your entire computer and requiring a restart? Is it crashing to the desktop and giving an error box?

:l Flame is right. You gotta be at least a bit more specific.

It could also be a bug in the game itself. Which would mean you likely can't stop it from happening unless some random person on the internet has already found a workaround.
  5. Lunex

Local Time:
    Tried verifying it first. It corrected 74 errors apparently and immediately crashed while I was on the menu. I verified again and it fixed another 74 errors.

As for the nature of how it crashes, the game freezes, window goes black, if its fullscreen the entire screen goes black and my computer mentions the graphics card. Finally, a notepad document opens up listing stuff.

After checking the game's discussions area, doesn't seem to be a common problem.
  6. archaicINF

archaicINF Senior Member Senior Member

Local Time:
    Lune... F*#k your title! LOL
  7. flamedog

flamedog Draeanale Senior Member Indiegogo Backer Parkour Master

Local Time:
    Still hasn't told us the name of the game...
    calmchaos likes this.
  8. calmchaos

calmchaos Moderator Staff Member Senior Member

Local Time:
    5:15 PM
    Hm. Since it mentions your graphics, have you tried updating your drivers?

If that fails to solve it, you might need to change some in-game settings. If you can keep the menu alive long enough to do it that way, you should.

If not, there should be a settings file somewhere in
    • the game's directory (Properties->Local Files->Browse Local Files),
    • a separate folder in your documents folder,
    • or in a folder in your ...Documents\My Games folder.
    It'll probably be a .ini, but it could be a .txt or have some other extension. Regardless of the extension, you can open it with regular old Notepad or Notepad++, change whatever settings you feel like changing, save, and try the game again. If this is actually being caused by a setting making something load incorrectly, then playing the guess and check game might help.

That's the extent of my troubleshooting though. If there aren't any guides/workarounds from a random stranger and the above fails to make a game work for me, I just give up.