The history of the Iridium Based.

Discussion in 'Aqua Polis Square' started by Quine, Sep 19, 2015.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 6 users.
  1. Quine

Quine Well-Known Member Senior Member

Local Time:
    11:00 PM
    This is a thread in which i ask the older members of the forum to post the history of the iridium based forums. Relevant discussions, things that happened, a list of Game Masters that we already have. If the staff allows, the biography that they revealed in the forums in old-old threads.
    This will be a legacy to leave for the future newer members of Iridium, and i believe that the history of Iridium Based is something important to keep.
  2. axlsjolund

axlsjolund Creative Director Senior Member

Local Time:
    9:00 PM
    Once upon a time Siegfre, Keramory, and I were all friendly, making random nonsense over at a little site called "cyberconnects.org". Then one day I suggested a re-branding of the group, the game, and all the fun stuff in between. Both for creative and legal reasons.

Siegfre accepted, and left me to my own devices to create a way. I grabbed my close friend Akira, and some time later the first version of "Iridium Based" was born. As far as what happened after the official launch of the new brand, I only remember bits here and there. For those who were not here at that time, i have posted the original mockups for the site below.

My primary role was an artistic lead and some backend work. Roadmaps, gameplay mechanic ideas, future builds, etc.. Sieg handled all the coding at the time, Keramory was our only modeler, and we were in the process of seeking more help for the team. Some pretty big milestones were hit, but I kept my eye in that artistic area. I also came up with the original concepts for the UI overhaul to the game. Also posted below.

If you have any more question feel free to ask. I'll answer as best I can.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Mattimao1239 and Quine like this.
  3. flamedog

flamedog Draeanale Senior Member Indiegogo Backer Parkour Master

Local Time:
    I remember that.. good times owo
    Mattimao1239 likes this.
  4. Cerberuspaw

Cerberuspaw Senior Member Senior Member Indiegogo Backer

Local Time:
    8:00 PM
    That wave of nostalgia hit hard.
    Mattimao1239 and flamedog like this.
  5. kungfuboom

kungfuboom Monster Maker! Senior Member

Local Time:
    As I have not logged back in to the world in a long time I still remembering it being like this '3'
    I'm guessing things have changed a bit heh
    Mattimao1239 likes this.
  6. VodkaTonic

VodkaTonic Well-Known Member Senior Member

Local Time:
    6:00 PM
    Hmm, I haven't been a member as long as some but I was around a while back while things were still rough. I want to guess 4 years after the Re-branding? Join date was 2013 so I guess it wasn't so long ago. These days I never visit, or keep updated with how the game is doing. Once long ago I was gung ho for it to be stable and done! But then I got a job (2 actually) and just ran out of time to be on my computer anymore. I'd come home after a long night at work and only feel like laying in bed on my phone watching lame youtube videos till I was tired enough to sleep. When my PC is on I try to stop in and post up or message an old friend (Matty!). I recently formatted my PC so it should be stable now, and I've been interested in using it more. I just downloaded the most current version as well! Maybe I'll once again be dedicated here :)
    Mattimao1239 and archaicINF like this.
  7. Mattimao1239

Mattimao1239 Chicken Chaser Senior Member

Local Time:
    The history goes waaaay back like Axl said to CC, I sort of wish the site was still up. Even if I hadn't been in a while I'd still go there every now and than to read up on stuff.

Anyways I have a very old list of members and stuff from this site. It's stickied and needs to be updated badly

Here it is

I'll be on regularly (hopefully) for the next few months so if you need questions answered I am sure there are more than enough people to help :)
    Alron Thunderdrummer likes this.
  8. snakebyte12

snakebyte12 Senior Member Senior Member

Local Time:
    I joined right as cyberconnects went down and iridium was born. although ahhh, that nostalgia from back then... Anyone else remember the 7 people photoshot on the bridge rail of Mac Anu? good times... good times
    Mattimao1239 likes this.
  9. Mattimao1239

Local Time:
    I still have a few screenshots from that even with my derpy cpu at the time XD
  10. archaicINF

archaicINF Senior Member Senior Member

Local Time:
    What's the story behind CC going under that birthed Iridium?
    Alron Thunderdrummer likes this.
  11. Mattimao1239

Local Time:
    If I remember correctly it's the same with the other times CC went down for a while. Joe couldn't afford to keep the servers up and everything. Probably after keeping it up for so long he decided to just close it although in the end a few threads popped up talking about Iridium and I think one other site that splintered from CC.
  12. Joseph Stacko

Joseph Stacko Senior Member Senior Member

Local Time:
    Actually, IB started prior to CC LLC shutting down, though it was past it's prime.

Long story short, Lee and I had been working on TW3D (starting with R:2), for a few years. Sieg joined around 2009 (?) and was helping over at CC. I had some personal issues, which caused backlash in the staff (I had a drug problem), so Lee and Sieg left CC. I let the .org domain expire, they got it, started cc.org with the old 3d version. A year or so after, they rebranded to IB.

Them in 2012, I shut down CC, because after almost 10 years I was done.
  13. flamedog

Local Time:
    damn cc.org .. how much did that even cost..? talk about premium domains..
  14. Keramory

Keramory Guest

Local Time:
    You know it's funny. I remember so much from CC but forget a lot of it too, especially towards the end.
    I will say though in Joe's defense, CC went down for a lot of reasons. The player base was dropping, staff were being interchanged increasingly, many staff (including myself at the time) failed to deliver and the drama that strangely binded the place together lost it's magic.
    I think my favorite aspect was the mapping. I loved to map for the game. I remember I took a vacation in California I spent the majority of the time mapping. I was no EyeofCalamity (no one was) but I think I did a damn good job in that department.
    My least favorite was dealing with the hackers, or the more frustrating to me, the communities acceptance and lolling to the hackers. That and the disconnection I felt as an older player watching everyone I knew drop off the planet. It got to the point where I was only talking to 1 person on my MSN and ignoring the constant spam from people I didn't know from CC. Joe was accused of the same thing but in that regard I don't blame him.

What makes me often scratch my head though is peoples grudges that STILL exist because of CC. I kid you not, I'm STILL getting messages on FB or where have you about some dude or chick I pissed off almost 10 years ago who decided to remind me about it. And I don't remember most of these incidences...which of course what more of an insult could you give someone who feels that way but..yeah.

I think the most magical moment ...and the most bizarre in a way...was when I was on Aura's character and in the whiteroom bed. I would occasionally walk a few spaces, say something small and go afk and repeat. One time I did that, went into the bed and went AFK for like...2-3 hours. Came back and this one player was still there talking to Aura. Reading up I could see multiple people came and did the same. That was cool. Bizarre in a way but touching.

Feel like I went off topic... but CC always makes me want to talk about the old times.

Anyways to maybe...correct Joseph. I don't know if I left CC for Iridium (cc.org). I think I left then Siegfre talked to me about helping with the project. Why I left I don't fully recall but I'm sure there was some sort of kidish drama. Could be completely wrong but one thing I do remember is that when we started it wasn't like Siegfre and me were all like "zomg lets do this". This has always been Siegfre's project, I originally just helped him by sending him all my 3d models. A lot of people I'm noticing confuse me as the head of the project cause I'm the more social of the two, but he's in charge more or less. I just stick my dumb face out and make a derpy smile.
  15. flamedog

Local Time:
    Very interesting post Kera.. But this doesn't change the fact that before I joined iridium you did ____ to me on cc and I won't forgive you :p
    calmchaos likes this.
  16. Joseph Stacko

Local Time:
    I still get messaged at least once a month about CC. I tend to ignore most of them, unless it's from one of the handful of people who I actually knew.

I do think that was one of the best aspects of the game - the environments. While the layering system was simple, we did have some very neat features coded in (that by the end worked pretty darn good). Because of the simplistic nature of the mapping system, you could create amazing works of art, which many of the staff came to bless the game with (especially Eye, Ciel, Jordan, and Abs). I list them, because while others did amazing work, I will never forget when v2.0 died, and we had to do v3.0. Long story short, I sold the game/site to Ashitaka, who within a week realized he couldn't handle it, had began a large scale revamp of all the game data, and almost killed it all (this was early 2006). So he gave it back to me, and because all the game data had to be rebuilt, I decided to finally build a fully working Chaos Gate system.

Keep in mind, up until this point, our game (and the one or two other "The World" games, which did not last long after this update came out) used a warp to a map with a bunch of warps, that represented the fields. So I wanted to set CC apart, by giving it an actual Chaos Gate. So while I did the coding, I tasked all the staff (myself included) to make 10 fields of each element, so that an algorithm I wrote would randomize aspects of the field, and create the key word combination. Originally it was going to have 5x100^3 fields, but due to vb6 Stack Size limits, it would always crash around 5,000. Technically, I had the code randomly create dungeons for each field as well, but those ended up breaking the Stack Size even more.

Unfortunately, as time went on, more of the original crowd left. Many would pop back in from time to time, but after the game peaked in 2007-2009, it started going really down hill. By 2010, I hardly knew any of the regular members.

I am only posting this, because where I am at in my recovery I can be honest about my past (otherwise I would leave it dead).

What happened, was that Ashitaka made a large donation - I believe this was in late 2008, early 2009, because I said we needed a new server (we really just needed a new power supply). R:2 had failed, but we were working on the 3D version of R:1 ( this version). I was still working with Scott at this point, MERC was just getting rolling, and I was starting to get really deep into my active addiction. I took all the money from the donation, and splurged it on drugs. Lee, you were starting to get really sick of my constant excuses for not delivering on updates on time.

Around this time we jumped off Realm Crafter, and into Unity3D, because you had found Sieg. Originally we was going to do 3d animation for us, but he also started to pick up on my basically non-existent coding (I was rarely active for development at this point, just focusing on drugs and MERC). After a while, you got sick of it, and quit - it was a clean break though. ( this is the version we were at, right before this happened - in my honest opinion, visually, I think these were the most accurate models from any 3D The World game).

Where it got crazy, was your girlfriend at the time - don't remember her name - but she had mapping access on TW2D. She went on, spawned a bunch of AIDA, Twilight, TBs, etc, defaced a bunch of maps, etc. I got pissed at her, so I got into her email (her password was the same as her TW account), and threatened her with stuff (her school was tied into it, as was her bank). She freaked out, and you freaked out on me, for going so far. At this point, you made a post on CC, basically outing me for all the shit I had done (stealing money for drugs, not doing shit for almost a year besides reset the server once a week, dropping the ball on R:2), and revealed what MERC was - everyone got pissed, at me, at CC, etc. Basically the whole staff fell apart at that point.

Somehow CC survived. We didn't talk for a long time (6 months ish). One day, I find out that you guys had bought the .org domain, and were doing the 3D version there - at the time, I think you were still building up from that version above. I got all pissed off, we fought some more.

Honestly, it wasn't until about 3 years ago when I got clean that we started to get along again. Shortly after I got clean, I shut down CC.

That is basically the events that lead up to what came to be IB.

They were actually really cheap - I still own .com. I don't use it, but it's sorta like my keepsake from back then.
    At one point, I owned:
    cyberconnects.com
    cyberconnects.org
    cyberconnects.net
    cyberconnectllc.com
    theworldmmorpg.com
    dothackmmo.com

There is someone that owns cyberconnect.com - it was an old webhosting company, that shut down years ago. I tried a number of times back in the day to track down the owner to buy the domain from him, but could never find the exact owner. I must have searched for 5 years lol.
  17. Keramory

Keramory Guest

Local Time:
    I COMPELTELY forgot about the gf drama thing. That's hilarious. Whats past is past, honestly I would consider putting the site back up, for nostalgia's sake among anything.
  18. Joseph Stacko

Local Time:
    I have thought about it, but I don't have a server for it anymore.
  19. Keramory

Keramory Guest

Local Time:
    Wasn't talking about the game I ment more along the lines of the forums, even if you didn't have the old threads. Just a place for the occasional drop by and post memories
  20. Ashitaka

Ashitaka Active Member Senior Member

Local Time:
    Um.... Joe you never sold me anything xD I only donated to you.