So... I really want to make a play-by-post MMORPG.

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by Brijesha, Oct 17, 2013.

?

Are you interested in designing this project?

1. Yes.

5 vote(s)
    55.6%
  2. No.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Sorry, but I don't understand.

4 vote(s)
    44.4%
Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 3 users.
  1. Brijesha

Brijesha Teller of Seasons Senior Member

Local Time:
    9:58 PM
    [​IMG]

So I really want to design a play-by-post MMORPG that takes its basis from Asian Folklore and for those that don't know (though I'm sure most of you do);

"A play-by-post game (PbP game, also called a sim or simming) is an online text-based role-playing game in which players (also called writers or simmers) interact with each other in a predefined environment via text. It is a subset of the online role-playing community which caters to both gamers and creative writers. PbP games may be based on other role-playing games, non-game fiction including books, television and movies, or original settings. This activity is closely related to both interactive fiction and collaborative writing."

The game in question is called Tsukuyomi (game/setting named after the moon god in Shinto and Japanese mythology.) and is set in a spiritual realm encompassing the earth's moon. The origins of the game's setting comes from the folk-legends of the 'Chinese Goddess, Chang'e, 'Wu Gang the Woodcutter', and 'Yuebing, the Jade Rabbit' (what personally inspired me- that's simple; anime science-fiction and failed screenplays about psychological themes...).

[​IMG]

My 'abstract' idea for designing the spirit realm is to compliment the moon's real features and be as historically accurate as possible with folklore that I use. Here's a map of the moon to see the landscape I'm working with and constantly inspired and in awe by.

[​IMG]
    [http://cseligman.com/text/moons/lunarnearsidelarge.jpg]

[​IMG]

I've spent hours relentlessly trying to google information about other historically significant areas on the moon, but aside from the palace and the cassia tree- I didn't find much. Anyhow, that whole map is practically going to be in use for the first campaign, almost all of the craters on the moon are going to be cities or other inhabited areas, and for every playable area in the game it'll have its own forum thread with wikia information. I've imagined the site itself to sort of look like this;

[​IMG]

|[Article_to_be_continued_...]|
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
    Mattimao1239 likes this.
  2. Crim

Crim Guest

Local Time:
    6:58 AM
    I would be interested in checking it out. Another great source of Asian culture is the book series/RPG/CCG Legend of the 5 Rings. That could maybe help you with a class system should you be interested in that. It is I believe set in a Chinese culture, but I only played the RPG and CCG a few times and own a few books that I doubt I'll ever get around to reading.
  3. Brijesha

Local Time:
    http://www.l5r.com/? Legend of the Five Rings?

I was thinking of creating a large caste of Alchemist Classes. Users of the game will be able to play as various types of spirits, and there are so many different spirits to work with in this genre of Folklore!

You can refer to my incomplete PROJECT OUTLINE for more details about the game. I'm sorry if it is tough to read, I'm a very out of sorts fellow. I'm hoping that at some point in the future- this game will help me with my lack of organization and improve my writing skills.

[​IMG]
    {I apologize for advertising, but this site is practically a barren wasteland anyway. It looks pretty and serves as a model for how I'd like Tsukuyomi's site to be.)

The home for this project is at http://gnibeuynet.org/

I'm currently in the midst of trying to find an affordable (or free) forum host that can fit all these playable areas and incorporate dice-rollers, character sheets, item containers, and other stuff. *shrugs*
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
  4. Crim

Crim Guest

Local Time:
    6:58 AM
    Well, Im not much of a reader. But Ill help u where ever I can if u ask for it. I love RPing, and you can always bounce ideas off me.
    Brijesha likes this.
  5. calmchaos

calmchaos Moderator Staff Member Senior Member

Local Time:
    8:58 AM
    Zetaboards supports that. In fact, if you can figure out a way to code it, Zetaboards supports quite a bit, Javascript, HTML, CSS, all fully customizable. You can even create webpages for the game itself. Truthfully, you do not even have to use Zetaboards as a forum. It can be used solely as a website. I do not remember the max storage space, though.

In the support forums, on the main site, you can find all kinds of useful scripts, but, for your purposes, you would have to create your game from scratch. It may be simpler to create the game with a regular website in mind and then incorporate it into the website section of the forum.

Here's some pictures to see what you can do (these are from a forum I made a long time ago and some things have stopped working since):
    1.png
    (Sample of what the site could look like. I customized my theme, but you can make yours look any way you want it to.)

2.png
    (Sample of the admin controls.)

3.png
    (Sample of the built-in website maker.)

The top bar on my website stopped working, but, if you want, feel free to check it out. I don't use it anymore, so you can make posts and the like to test things. Zetaboards actually has a service called 'test forums' that can be used to test features out. You can create a test forum to get a look into the administrator side of a Zetaboard forum.

Links:
    http://www.zetaboards.com/
    http://w11.zetaboards.com/Aether/index/
    Brijesha likes this.
  6. Brijesha

Local Time:
    I'm hoping this game will be very informative. The wikia content that should be featured above or apart of forum threads will serve as detailed reference material for players to make their posts with.

I was thinking that the game should be very abstract and psychedelic. Areas with absurd forms of physics, locations lost in time loops. Ancient areas reminiscent of places like netslum (BECAUSE Y'KNOW .hack is one of the many inspirations for this game!! HUZZAH!) that feature small tribes based of Hopi/Zuni Native American Mythology (they are Ancient Asians right?).

Well... http://gnibeuynet.tk/ was created with http://www.wix.com/ and it was my first (almost) successful attempt at designing a website that fits my needs. Apparently Wix's website-builder is quite similar to GoDaddy's.

I'll be setting up a hosting plan with GoDaddy in the next couple of months or so after I get a new computer built. I'm hoping to set myself up with a PC/Internet Plan/Hosting Plan that will get my Gnibeuy Network off the ground and allow me to stream from it, and still have enough extras to kick-off the sister PbP Project; Tsukuyomi.

I came across Zetaboards before. I believe I have an account with them (along with a lot of other forum hosts), but making the project from scratch really does seem like my best option.. However, I can barely wrap my mind around coding (my website was made with generators and freeware, no coding experience whatsoever). I was told that taking a WordPress approach would be a good option, but at the moment- its still beyond me.
  7. calmchaos

calmchaos Moderator Staff Member Senior Member

Local Time:
    8:58 AM
    http://www.codecademy.com/

You can learn, in a very beginner-friendly way, some languages at this link. As for which language would be best? I'm not sure. You would need to ask someone with a bit more experience in that field. Depending on how you want it to work, some languages would do wonders while others would make you want to tear your hair out. If you wish to get to know the web design aspects better first, which I recommend, you can check out their HTML and CSS tutorials. http://www.codecademy.com/tracks/web
    This will also help you make an informed decision on what language to use for the game. Just remember that, before you start thinking about actually making the game, you need to have all of the core aspects mostly designed. You cannot easily build a house properly without a set of blue prints for reference.

I do not know anything about WordPress or GoDaddy, but I suggest that you have a developed plan of action before paying for anything or getting a subscription to any hosting service. The less headaches the better, right?
  8. Brijesha

Local Time:
    Thanks for the helpful and informative posts. I'll be sure to have a whole guidebook (My Project Outline) to follow by the time I'm ready to make my own game site. ;D
  9. Mattimao1239

Mattimao1239 Chicken Chaser Senior Member

Local Time:
    9:58 AM
    You guys are awesome and this is simply one of the reasons. I get my intelligence kicks of the day by coming here XD

I would be interested in this myself :) I think it would also be cool if someone did a game like this set during the warring states period of china (Romance of the Three Kingdoms warring states period) this is a really good idea :D
    Brijesha likes this.
  10. Brijesha

Local Time:
    *spoiler alert* Well I plan on having the first campaign or version of the game to be more like a sim and develop it for a while as I have it going. The three rulers of Tsukuyomi are Chang'e, Yuebing, and Wu Gang and each of them are going to have their own nations. As for the world itself, there's also an ancient group of Hopi/Zuni's Kachina Spirits that are going to be living in ruined temples and villages on the outskirts of the moon map (it'll still resemble a lunar wasteland around there, their lore in my game-world is heavily involved with the creation of Izanagi's Tsuki-yomi- or something like that).

The second campaign or version will have a lot more fighting. It'll introduce the rest of the moon to be played, and on the opposing side- directly opposite from where The mighty Cassia Tree stood and branched out the rest of the first campaign...

[​IMG]

Well, it'll have a dark force brewing, reminiscent of Cubia, The Cursed Wave, and AIDA (all in one giant spiritual army force), spiritual-beings with a likeness and appearance of No Face from Spirited Away, but most importantly, it'll be a force like the Mighty One-Eye from 'The Thief and the Cobbler'....

Here's a map of the dark-side of the moon: http://pacoarnau.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/luna-150dpi.jpg

[excuse my rambling.. I just woke up. e_e"]

I think its a great project and will turn into a great game.
    Mattimao1239 likes this.
  11. Brijesha

Local Time:
    World-Building + Game-Design//Food-for-thoughts-??

Does XenForo have special features for role-playing and guild needs? Something like Gaia Online's forum system or Integral's community would be great for hosting TRPGs here, as well as in-game stuff. I'd love to host my Play-by-Post MMORPG here if that were possible, or play a really intense .hack TRPG. Get some dice-rollers, a built in character sheet into the forum... Set up a few campaign boards....

Someone should do this. o___o"