RE'ing Gaming Servers

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by archaicINF, Sep 14, 2015.

1. archaicINF

archaicINF Senior Member Senior Member

Local Time:
    9:54 AM
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
  2. flamedog

flamedog Draeanale Senior Member Indiegogo Backer Parkour Master

Local Time:
    The world :3 ... (2d)
  3. Lunex

Lunex Bloody Lunatic... Senior Member Indiegogo Backer

Local Time:
    If we include console online, I'd like to see WKC servers up again.

Also kinda wished I got back to POTC online before they shut down. Never get to know rest of story now.
  4. 1UP

1UP Well-Known Member Senior Member

Local Time:
    Part of the problem with trying to bring a game back online is when the traffic is encrypted. Let's say you had dumps of a game while it was online but the traffic was encrypted. Those packets are essentially garbage.

Fragment was a little different in that it didn't use something like RSA (public/private key). If you take a look at the _00.elf you will find the encryption key in plain text. Having that and then figuring out how they did the encryption can make that a lot easier. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying it's easy, but having that information can make things easier.

If you aren't able to do that your next bet is disabling the function that does the encrpytion / decryption of the packets on the client end. While this can work, the problem comes down to security and compatibility. If you are not able to restore the encryption to how it was now you have to issue a patch to all clients. On the pc this isn't an issue but for the ps2 you could be looking at something as simple as a codebreaker code or having to re-distribute patched ISO.

The other problem (at least for ps2 games) is the fact that DNAS no longer exists. There is the packet replay server and that will get most games past DNAS but for any game that relied on DNAS for more than just authentication, you are out of luck. (I think there was only a handful of games that used it for more than that).
    archaicINF likes this.