Quote of the Day

Discussion in 'Aqua Polis Square' started by calmchaos, Oct 6, 2013.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 9 users.
  1. calmchaos

calmchaos Moderator Staff Member Senior Member

Local Time:
    7:21 PM
    In order to promote deep thought and understanding, I have made this thread.
    Each day I will post a quote, unless someone else tells me they wish to post one, and we will then discuss that quote, tearing it apart until there is no more rhetorical, figurative, or literal meaning. Feel free to be as deep and/or as blunt as you want.
    Differing opinions are encouraged here.
    | |
    |
    |
    -------------------------------------------------------​

[​IMG]
    (You've found a clue!)​
    -------------------------------------------------------​

| |

|

| | |
    | | |
    The very first quote of the day:
    I take the meaning as 'have a little fun every now and then.' While it is important to be serious when the situation calls for it, you shouldn't constantly be in a state of distress over every trivial matter that crosses your path.
    Your thoughts?
    Brijesha, Krescent and Silaan like this.
  2. Silaan

Silaan Man Behind the Mask! Senior Member

Local Time:
    2:21 AM
    . . . sounds like a serious case of black/grim humor to me... actually had to laugh over that quote.
    since life won't last forever anyways one problably should have some fun along the way... I think I like that quote :D
    Crim likes this.
  3. Crim

Crim Guest

Local Time:
    5:21 PM
    I like silaan's take. No one is immortal, so the second part is a good joke to that. And as for the first part, I obviously agree. Life is too boring to be serious all the time.

But Ya, I think it's meaning was to put another light way of telling someone to chillax and stop stressing about every little thing. You could find hundreds if not thousands of similar quotes to the same message. But I'll join silaan at laughing at this quote's punch line.
  4. Cerberuspaw

Cerberuspaw Senior Member Senior Member Indiegogo Backer

Local Time:
    Yeah I'm in the same area as Silaan and Crim for the most part.

Taking everything to heart wont make life any better, Relax.
  5. Crim

Crim Guest

Local Time:
    I just wanted to let u know that while I was working I continued to think of this new thread.

The first thing I thought of as how many Einstein quotes we could discuss and how deciphering a crazy man's words would be both pointless and awesome because who really knows what that guy was thinking.

Second I thought of a radio bit called deep thinking, with Jesse Ventura. As to not derail this thread with craziness, I posted it in the derailment thread.

http://forum.iridiumbased.com/threads/derailment-thread.870/page-33
  6. calmchaos

Local Time:
    Einstein would be very interesting subject material. If you have a quote, in particular, that you would like to use for tomorrow's, feel free to post it after 12:00.
  7. Crim

Crim Guest

Local Time:
    Yes, I have one... I have a great one.

Then also 20 other great ones, lol.
  8. Crim

Crim Guest

Local Time:
    "I want to know God's thoughts; the rest are details." -Albert Einstein

Seriously, I had so many quotes I wanted to pick. But this one was my fav. Let's discuss!

Since he wrote this on his death bed, I think he was basically done theorizing and was just curious if life's question. What is the meaning of it all?
  9. Cerberuspaw

Local Time:
    Maybe what drove the desire to create a beginning
  10. calmchaos

Local Time:
    From a religious point-of-view: it could mean that at the end he saw what he should have been doing from the beginning, working towards God.

Since I don't enjoy bringing religion into public discussions do to some people being unable to not start an arguement over it, the quote could also have to do with how complex the world is, essentially tying in all his scientific and mathematical knowledge to one final resolution that is akin to this: the basic concepts behind the making of the world are gibberish with all the superfluous crap that others pile on it.
  11. Crim

Crim Guest

Local Time:
    He was a religious man, and loved both god and science. One of his other great quotes basically said that science without god is dumb, and god without science is blind meaning u have to believe god intended there to be science. Which as someone who considers himself non religious, makes me smile. There is one of the smartest things I have heard anyone say, and Ive been asking that question my whole life. Cant god and science do exist? I would love to go into furth discussion on the thought, but this is your thread and u said no religious discussion.

BTW, where is today's quote? Or were u leaving it up to anyone to post one? I thought u said u were going to and people should message u if they wish to cut in with one...
  12. calmchaos

Local Time:
    I was giving any random person a chance, but, since you asked, I'll go ahead and post it.
    (Feel free to make another topic based on religious/scientific discussion if you want, but I don't spend enough time on here to make sure that a riot doesn't start.)

I'll post my thoughts a bit later. Discuss. ~nudges the conservation~
  13. Crim

Crim Guest

Local Time:
    Ya, I thought u said u were going to.

Oh how true that is. I dont think it needs to be dissected, I think it just needs to be accepted and move on. I dont see any hidden meaning. I just get, the young are dumb, but just dumb enough to succeed even when everyone else has counted them out. Each generation takes bigger and bigger risks, and they just keep achieving their goals.

What could be discussed is what he didnt right. Eventually, there has to be a point where without drugs or cyborg implants or something, the real impossible will come around and then what? Will there be mass failures? Will they somehow find a way even when it isnt even humanly possible? Or will no one care because we will all have our cyborg implants by then? And if there is mass failures, will the human race then just give up?
  14. Cerberuspaw

Local Time:
    If nothing else I'm finding several quotes quite moving. This being no exception
  15. calmchaos

Local Time:
    So long as we still maintain our human decision-making ability, i.e. using more than just logic for important decisions, we will be fine.

As for the quote, the only reason "the young" achieve the impossible is because they simply ignore those who tell them that it isn't possible.
    In fact, I've got another quote that goes right with this one, but I think I'll save it. It's nice to look at a new topic after a few days/weeks/months/years and see if your opinion has changed or if you've sharpened your philosophy n the topic.
    Alron Thunderdrummer likes this.
  16. Mattimao1239

Mattimao1239 Chicken Chaser Senior Member

Local Time:
    8:21 PM
    I feel like the adults or really anyone say that something is impossible simply to give someone somewhere the push to prove that the impossible is actually possible. Whether it is at the same time that the person says it or sometime in the future.
  17. Crim

Crim Guest

Local Time:
    I disagree. I think the adults say it's impossible because they failed and there is no way someone younger and less experienced could do it.
    Viscro and John like this.
  18. Silaan

Silaan Man Behind the Mask! Senior Member

Local Time:
    2:21 AM
    I agree that this quote is rather hard to discuss, simply because it is quiet clear what is ment.
    but away from that I agree with crim, when someone says "this and that is impossible" then (mostly) not to nudge you into into trying it, but because the person (ushually) really does think that it is, in fact, impossible.
    Of course when someone then does it, it also proves that it isn't impossible so one could argue that the quote is wrong but thats really only splitting hair...
  19. Crim

Crim Guest

Local Time:
    Like u asked, I'm just pointing this out to help u. It's spelled usually, u wrote ushually.

Ok, let's try this quote today...

"When all of your wishes are granted, many of your dreams will be destroyed." -Marilyn Manson
  20. Cerberuspaw

Local Time:
    if you dont work for it the result isnt as satisfying or something along those lines. i feel like i seriously over simplified it