New Game Download

Discussion in 'Mechanics and Design' started by axlsjolund, Jul 17, 2012.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 1 user.
  1. axlsjolund

axlsjolund Creative Director Senior Member

Local Time:
    10:24 AM
    Please let me know when you have it uploaded and ready. I'm going to have a space for it on the main page, and need to link to it once it is ready. I'm in the process right now of making the download button/image.
  2. Akira

Akira Well-Known Member Senior Member

Local Time:
    9:24 AM
    That should stop a lot of the newer user making posts. We should also sticky the controls and delete the posts in there. Make it so its highly simple, for the simple minded.
  3. axlsjolund

Local Time:
    Controls are going to be on the game page when it is done. Download is going to be one of the placeholders. Probably the bottom banner since it makes the most sense.
  4. Siegfre
    • Staff / Administrator

Siegfre [IridiumBased] President Staff Member

Local Time:
    7:24 AM
  5. Vayu

Vayu Active Member Senior Member

Local Time:
    i'm going to make a post and sticky it with this link until you do otherwise with it.
  6. axlsjolund

Local Time:
    So in case anyone didn't notice, download link is on the main page. That being said, WHY OH WHY are we hosting it on that crappy site? Why not something simple like a dropbox or something? Something with some speed. Or even our own server?
    Joseph Stacko likes this.
  7. Keramory

Keramory Guest

Local Time:
    I have no objection with a different download site :3
    Actually its insanely important even now our game is easy to download and install. I cant tell you how many small site or f2p games I've rejected as a game (pw for example) because of how hard it was to download and install a game.
  8. axlsjolund

Local Time:
    Speaking of install.... We need to eventually make an actual installer me thinks. Not in the near future, because you'd have to repackage every time before release. But eventually.
  9. Siegfre
    • Staff / Administrator

Local Time:
    Actually was thinking about it today. And I think I have a pretty decent way of doing updates. I still need to work on either making unity's .asset files smaller or having the files outside of the .asset file... as there's really no reason to have everything in a 222mb chunk, and just have a couple things spread around.. Hopefully when I look into it more I'll find that the big chunk is just where unity store's models. Which won't be updated all that often anyway.
  10. axlsjolund

Local Time:
    Well we should have a patching system that download only what was changed. New exe, few asset swaps, added assets. THAT would be the best route.

Can we move away from the .asset thing and do our own structure?
    Joseph Stacko likes this.
  11. Siegfre
    • Staff / Administrator

Local Time:
    We can(ish) eventually we could easily just have a system setup to import objects outside of unity. As unity allows for loading files outside of the exe and asset files. But, the issue is with designing the system once again. It'll take about 2 weeks in and of itself of straight work. So it'll have to be pretty much the only thing that's updated in the time period.