New Car. FINALLY!

Discussion in 'Aqua Polis Square' started by axlsjolund, May 29, 2013.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 3 users.
  1. axlsjolund

axlsjolund Creative Director Senior Member

Local Time:
    8:05 AM
    Hello everyone,

As I'm sure all of you may have noticed, I've been very much not around lately. The reason being related to a variety of real-life priorities. Most important of which was replacing my dying/dead car. Unfortunately, the search did not go quickly, nor was anything going in my favor for a very long time.

However, after MONTHS of searching and test driving, I have finally bought my new car. And I must say, I love it. As a result, I'll be back at Iridium Based on a regular basis, with lots of new ideas to help breathe new life into the group.

Here are a few pictures of what I have now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. Crim

Crim Guest

Local Time:
    5:05 AM
    Ewww. Im not a fan of boxy cars or hatchbacks (except the Mini). And I really dont like Scion's look at all. But, a new car still has to be sweet! The color is pretty cool too.

Lets just say I am happy you are happy. And welcome back.
  3. Mattimao1239

Mattimao1239 Chicken Chaser Senior Member

Local Time:
    Looks pretty cool for one of the smaller cars :) the color isn't my favorite but I am not the owner so it doesn't bother me :D Hope you're enjoying it man and stay safe on the roads O.O
  4. axlsjolund

Local Time:
    It depends on the box shape overall for me. I love mini's. I like the Honda fit sport, though it's not as sleek as I'd like. Nissan Cube is interesting, though fun to drive (handles like a Sentra). Scion XB is just hideous. As are Kia Souls and a few other box cars

The XD was more like a Honda fit sport with the body, just sportier looking, which is what I wanted. Sound system (stock) is incredible. It's small, similar to Mini, but a little larger. I really wanted hatchback for new car, as it makes life easier for me. The interior is just gorgeous, and the color makes me happy. I'm so sick of all the dreary colored cars on the road. Very little color/variety on the road these days.

The color for my particular car is a love or hate thing. Either you love it, or you hate it. Rofl. Because of this reason, I was able to get the car for several thousand dollars cheaper than the other colors for the model.
    Mattimao1239 likes this.
  5. Crim

Crim Guest

Local Time:
    Ya, I have heard some colors lower the price of vehicles. But I just buy the vehicle I can afford, regardless of color. But I am totally in love with the dark green my truck has. It is close to the team colors of the Minnesota Wild, and I added Wild stickers to my back window.

I also have seen the Scion commercials. Audio seems to be a big thing for them. Ive seen the Hampsters dancing. (Wonder if they are referencing hampsterdance.com?)
  6. Mattimao1239

Local Time:
    I'd be happy with a car that simply works XD my family has had car troubles my whole life. I know which cars to get...the problem is money though :(
  7. axlsjolund

Local Time:
    The hamster commercial is KIA soul, not Scion. Scion, the brand as a whole, was designed mainly for people between 20-28, who love customization & tech. So all their cars have tons of tech options, lots of intricate add-on options, and a variety of fun colors to choose from.

Normally I hate toyotas. I think they drive like crap. But I like my Scion. Definitely a huge difference between the 2, even though it is the same company and more or less the same parts.

My last car was a forest green color. A Honda Civic. While I love Honda, their color options are all bland and boring. And the dealers around here overprice the things by around 4-5k. With no willingness to come down even 1k. It's pretty bad.
  8. Crim

Crim Guest

Local Time:
    KIA/Scion, same difference (I know it isnt, im just trying to back out of my mistake, oops)

And Scion is different from Toyota like Saturn was different from GM. They are more backed financially by the parent company.
  9. axlsjolund

Local Time:
    Toyota... is the parent company. Rofl.

The main difference is in the tuning and a few performance parts used. Scion's have quicker pickup than most Toyota's, as well as tighter handling and better suspension. Toyota has a few sportier cars of their own that drive alright (Corolla S), but overall the Scion is built for better performance, and less old people.
  10. Crim

Crim Guest

Local Time:
    I had a Toyota once. But they called it a Chevy Prizm.
  11. VodkaTonic

VodkaTonic Well-Known Member Senior Member

Local Time:
    Must... Resist... Automotive urges!!! WHY DID YOU GET AN AUTOMATIC DAMMIT!!!!

-_- anyways, since that's out. Nice car :D I've never liked Scion... None of their cars actually. Nor do I like Toyota much or Honda even. I do like the color of your XD though. The orange and dark grey go well together. considering that I drive these:
    [​IMG]

And this:
    [​IMG]

I don't particularly like the newer cars. I can't really fix anything myself, it's all computerized and requires expensive scanners and programmers to fix it. It's kind of over my head.

But anyways, Axl, if you do happen to like cars and stuff, I've started a thread for this stuff :D
    http://forum.iridiumbased.com/threads/what-kind-of-car-do-you-guys-like.986/

I don't know much about computers and nothing about programming but I know my fair share about cars.
  12. axlsjolund

Local Time:
    I got an automatic because while I can drive standard, I hate it. When I have to wake up in the morning, or drive through traffic first thing, I don't want to have to constantly clutch and shift and blah. I wanna throw it in drive, and take a nap.

If I couldn't find a decent automatic I would have gone standard, but that to me is more of a last resort option.

I'm not big on cars personally, and up until last summer, I didn't even know how to change oil in them, let alone do anything else or even diagnose a problem. But with paying so much in labor so often, i just learned. Now I do majority work myself. However I will still contribute to the other thread as well.
  13. Mattimao1239

Local Time:
    This. This is all of my car feels. I hate stick shift only for this.
  14. axlsjolund

Local Time:
    Right?! My friends think I'm insane when I tell them that too.
  15. Mattimao1239

Local Time:
    Well I guess that makes sense if you're Europe, stick is standard and all that...auto is just more convenient
  16. Crim

Crim Guest

Local Time:
    Like I need another thing to multi task while driving...
  17. The_Freedom_Fellow

The_Freedom_Fellow Well-Known Member Senior Member

Local Time:
    7:05 AM
    I dig the color the look on the other hand I feel box shaped cars should be giant and tank like XD but congratulations on the new car :)
  18. VodkaTonic

Local Time:
    Fair enough, I know the clutch pains of traffic but hell, you get to work out while you drive ya know?? :D Nah, I love manuals. Just feeling the engine wind up then shifting it, knowing you are in control of how fast and what RPM the engine runs at... But, I like auto's too. My big truck there is an auto 3 speed which was pretty standard in it. Kind of hard to bounce around off road an concentrate on shifting into 2nd to keep the engine from blowing up right?

I do all my own work and have generally always done it if I am capable. You think oil changes are somethin, take a look at what happened to me on the freeway a month ago:
    [​IMG]

Driving about 45 and the tire fell off on the freeway going to work in the morning. I still don't know how the tire and brake drum didn't hit anyone else but somehow they didn't. It's all fixed now and it has new rims but that had to be the scariest ride I've ever had.

Aaaalso, Axls I don't want you to feel obligated to add to that thread, I just figured if you were into cars and wanted to see what everyone else drives, you could visit.
  19. axlsjolund

Local Time:
    I don't feel obligated. I don't mind contributing. I've just never been a car guy. For a long time I didn't know makes, models, how they work, how to fix, etc. Never cared either. I'm pretty good with them now, but that came out of the desire to stop paying labor costs and do it myself.

I needed a new thermostat one day. Mine was causing issues. So I called the garage and asked them how much. They said it'd cost me between $150-$175 to replace it. So I bought all the parts, top of the line too, for less than $20. Did it myself in less than 25 minutes.

$150 my butt. After that I just started doing all the work myself.
  20. VodkaTonic

Local Time:
    I know what you mean. That is part of why I became interested in cars. For half of the work I've done to my vehicles it would be well into the $10,000 range at a reputable shop. But, they have to pay their workers some how. Some people (Extian) use their vehicles to get from point A to point B. I don't mind that but I treat mine like an extension of my family. It may not affect the way they perform but I feel like it shows how much I care about my vehicles.