Minecraft & Tekkit

Discussion in 'Aqua Polis Square' started by axlsjolund, Aug 10, 2012.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 1 user.
  1. axlsjolund

axlsjolund Creative Director Senior Member

Local Time:
    7:16 AM
    I don't know how many users here actually play Minecraft. I know I love it.

Anyway, I've been playing with a custom server called "Tekkit" from the Technic Pack. It's not a new thing, but one I've put off for a while to due HUGE bugs in the releases. But it seems most of those are ironed out now.

I started up a server that's open to everyone. Uptime is... awkward. For now at least. I cancelled my old server host and am migrating to a new one soon, so until then the server is hosted on my home server.

If anyone is interested in helping me create fun stuff, and figuring out how half this stuff even works, you can join me at:

crafty.axlsjolund.me

There's no white list or anything special right now. Just bare bones Tekkit survival. In order to join/play you must be using the Technic Launcher. Get it at http://www.technicpack.net/tekkit/

I also recommend using this texture pack with it as it has support for most of the mods in the pack. http://forums.technicpack.net/threads/smps-revival-technicd.7844/
  2. Akira

Akira Well-Known Member Senior Member

Local Time:
    6:16 AM
    Honestly tekkit? Why would you play such a piece of garbage?
    Filled with an over abundance of mods, most of which do the same things a couple times over.
    Not to mention their 'wiki' if you could call it that is almost never really updated, well I mean.

why not just make a mod server with good things? ic2, buildcraft, iron chests, red power, and forestry, just to name a few. instead of a bunch of randoms that bog everything down.
  3. axlsjolund

Local Time:
    Well because tekkit has all of those things included, and integrated to work together. And have fixed most major bugs in the game.

It would take me weeks to put together my own client + server, and then more weeks to bug test it. All while having probably the same feature set as Tekkit.

Most of those "randoms" are little things here and there to expand on IC2, BC, RedPower, and the like. It is also what makes the two compatible with each other in-game.
  4. Iruga

Iruga Member

Local Time:
    12:16 PM
    I'll join you sounds like fun. :)
  5. axlsjolund

Local Time:
    I'll post here when the server is online/offline I suppose until I get the new host setup. It will be online in...

10 minutes?
  6. Iruga

Iruga Member

Local Time:
    It says I can't connect to server :/
  7. axlsjolund

Local Time:
    Sorry about that. I had turned it off for a reboot, and forgot to put it back on. It's up now.
  8. axlsjolund

Local Time:
    Made a few updates to the server. Stability and all. Back online now, and I am indeed on and playing.

Very lonely in here...
  9. Subaru

Subaru Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    Minecraft: The Lonely Artist's Haven
  10. axlsjolund

Local Time:
    I know right?

Biggest problem with MC these days is everyone wants to have creative mode and play on a huge server with tons of people. No one wants to just play it. Days later I'm still doing it by myself. And I don't even have admin powers. disabled them for fun.
  11. Ginko

Ginko Member

Local Time:
    8:16 AM
    It's because it's the same premise as an architect vs craftsman in real life. The architect doesn't want to mine the materials, he just wants to design the art. Whereas a craftsman likes the process more than the subtle details.

Most minecraft players are architects, not craftsman.
  12. axlsjolund

Local Time:
    Thats why Tekkit pack is so interesting in itself. It allows for ways of auto-gathering materials so one can just build, or setup auto-building things so one can just mine and enjoy.

I love building stuff, but it feels empty when I know I cheated to get the material. So much more satisfying doing everything from nothing.
  13. Ginko

Ginko Member

Local Time:
    8:16 AM
    That's actually pretty cool axl.
  14. axlsjolund

Local Time:
    That's why I want more people to join me. It's more in-depth than the stock game, but the problem is things are VERY hard to build by yourself. Lots of leg work in the beginning to make the new tools. Plus, as with any game, it;s kinda boring just sitting around with yourself. I enjoy playing with others.
  15. Iruga

Iruga Member

Local Time:
    I understand what your saying so how about we make a date for all going on it like tonight or something.
  16. axlsjolund

Local Time:
    If that's what you want. Server is up now, and will be up till about 2-3 am EST (GMT -5).
  17. axlsjolund

Local Time:
    For those who have been playing on the server every day (iruga especially), server will be going up a little later today. I am out running errands, and won't be able to put it back online till I get home. Sorry about that. Next time I'll start it before I leave if I think I'll be gone for a while.
  18. axlsjolund

Local Time:
    Server will be up in a minute. Late day due to dentist appointment, and some stability changes were made to codebase.
  19. csf11212

csf11212 Guest

Local Time:
    4:16 AM
    I play minecraft, and own my own server as well!
  20. axlsjolund

Local Time:
    That's cool I guess. Not really a difficult thing to set a server up. But this isn't plain minecraft.

Anyway. Got the server running under OSX. Much more stable, and can run it 24/7 with no real issue. I have 2 possibilities for dedicated hosts right now. Just trying to determine which will be more beneficial to me.