Merely A Concept.

Discussion in 'Out-of-Character' started by Cerberuspaw, Mar 4, 2014.

?

On a scale on 1-5 How interested would you be in this

1. 5(Completely Interested)

50.0%
  2. 4

20.0%
  3. 3

30.0%
  4. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 1(Barely Interested)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Not at all

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 3 users.
  1. Cerberuspaw

Cerberuspaw Senior Member Senior Member Indiegogo Backer

Local Time:
    5:24 AM
    This is an idea I have been mulling around and constructing for the last week or two. It's nowhere near complete as of yet, but attempting run a D&D style campaign. I know most are turned off by having to do the math of it all but the math would be handeled by the DM that way the game stays fairly immersive.

Ex.
    DM: *sets starting scene of you in an underground cavern with a glistening waterfall rushing down from the chasm opening into an expansive lake. The sparkling waters look cold and refreshing and snake their way from the lake into the darkness of the tunnels. The only light reflects off the waters and gleaming stone cave.*

Player: Random goes to drink some of the refreshing waters.

Now the DM in this situation is doing math and plotting(hehehehe) he rolls and it's a one... a critical failure so you're player would slip on the slick rock and get swept into the caves by the current. Or He rolls 3 and it loses to his counter roll of 5. You drink and the lakes serpent guardian gets pissed. Now you have to fight run or throw a rock at or honestly you could flash it if you wanted to. Point is your decisions, will ultimately determine how each campaign plays out. They all will have a goal to keep a direction, but how that goal is ultimately reached(or not) is up to the players.

But this post is to pitch the idea of interest towards such a system. Who would want to play? I would also like to know those with table top experience or just someone who wouldn't mind being an advisor for this. Regardless of turn out on this I will finish constructing everything this will just merely affect me running the game.

There is a Poll for interest but I would much rather prefer written interest.

Rpdraft.jpg
  2. Fujishawa

Fujishawa Well-Known Member Senior Member

Local Time:
    6:24 AM
    I've never really done anything else quite like this, so I'm pretty interested in trying it out. Normally I wouldn't do it because I'm terrible at math, but if I don't have to worry about it, then sure, why not?
    Brijesha likes this.
  3. Cerberuspaw

Local Time:
    I figured the whole build up of character creation and mechanics was a turn off for some people. So I figured as the DM I would handle that so everyone can enjoy the game and make everything as much of a surprise to you the player as it will be to me. Character Creation itself is awhile off though I'm still building the world, lore, mythology and general world rules.
  4. Fujishawa

Local Time:
    Well let me know how it goes. Also if you need help or ideas let me know, cause I may be able to think of something.
  5. Orion

Orion Senior Member Senior Member

Local Time:
    Well I would definitely give it a shot. Might be fun never did anything like this after all. But, Fuji you lack some ideas (We both know this lol.) I'd be willing to pitch an idea or two as well though. I'm not going anywhere after all xD. Look forward to see how this will all go.
  6. Cerberuspaw

Local Time:
    Glad to see some support for the idea. And as for pitching ideas, at the moment I'm currently looking more for an advisor where I can share what's done bounce around some concepts. I don't necessarily want ideas as much as a proof reader and critic.
  7. Fujishawa

Local Time:
    Well I'm sure anyone of us who are going to try this out, could try their best to help you out.
  8. Crim

Crim Guest

Local Time:
    3:24 AM
    Years of table top experience. Currently in 3 pathfinder (D&D 3.5+) games, and 1 Savage worlds. I have played Warhammer RPG, Dragon Age, Brave New World, Marvel, and I have both played and ran World of Darkness and WOD Vampires.

I am more then willing to help u with this Cerb. U can bounce any ideas off of me, and I can help with anything u have trouble with. And I really want to be in the game.

And I love the idea of u handling the math. I know people get so intimidated by math and junk, but it really is simple once u get the hang of it. The D20 system is one of the toughest ones to learn though. I want to start my own skype game, but I will be using Savage Worlds. The system is just way easier. And Dragon Age is even easier (it only uses 3d6 for nearly every roll).

But, yes. COUNT ME IN!
    Fujishawa likes this.
  9. Arkayle

Arkayle Well-Known Member Backer Descendants of Raiden

Local Time:
    AHH! actually i LOVE this! i was a DnD nerd for YEARS, still have a few character sheets!!! and hey, if you want to make it super intense, this site is an online tabletop for games like DnD. i can help you set up all the macros so that people have a button to roll their basic attacks, their skills, and everything else! it would make everything super fun and easy for all the players. Having actual stats and having to roll for everything also means that there will be no god mode, which makes this sound much better to me. I WANT IN!
    Brijesha and Fujishawa like this.
  10. Cerberuspaw

Local Time:
    Well I have a midterm in a little under an hour but once that's done I'll be talking with Crim and Seeker and trying to expand on what I've already developed. Hopefully in the coming weeks it will be complete enough to run a small campaign. (There will be much bigger campaigns but this will be to test the where's and how's)
  11. Crim

Crim Guest

Local Time:
    3:24 AM
    Well I was thinking of heading out tonight. But I am sure we will find time to talk, we usually do.
  12. Cerberuspaw

Local Time:
  13. Brijesha

Brijesha Teller of Seasons Senior Member

Local Time:
    6:24 PM
    Let's do this.
  14. Cerberuspaw

Local Time:
    Yeah I'm definitely not the guy to lead this I'm way too scatterbrained to world build in a timely manner though I did find the necessary tools for this recently (though I've yet to test them)
  15. Brijesha

Brijesha Teller of Seasons Senior Member

Local Time:
    6:24 PM
    I'm also rather scatterbrained for leadership... Nonetheless, let's test this.
  16. Cerberuspaw

Local Time:
    I can't make any promises but I can try to make an attempt
    Brijesha likes this.
  17. Arkayle

Arkayle Well-Known Member Backer Descendants of Raiden

Local Time:
    im down for it still- if you start thinking up a campaign, we can start rolling some characters.
    Brijesha likes this.
  18. Latorn

Latorn [GER] Moderator Senior Member Indiegogo Backer

Local Time:
    12:24 PM
    Once I'm done with my last exam (which is next Monday^^) I'm all ears for this. I need something to fill my freetime anyway :D
    And the idea to make it more DnD like sounds awesome too (especially since there's this German show on twitch called Pen & Paper and it really makes you want to play something similar yourself....problem is I don't have friends who'd do that >.< )
    So yea looking forward to this :D
  19. Cerberuspaw

Local Time:
    Darn its been revived in full force. I messed around with the tools a little www.rptools.net if anyone wants to check it out as well. I have to do research and tutorials because my first attempt was bad, I was lost as to how get a lot of it going.