Life in Space

Discussion in 'Aqua Polis Square' started by axlsjolund, Aug 13, 2012.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 1 user.
  1. axlsjolund

axlsjolund Creative Director Senior Member

Local Time:
    7:05 AM
    I'm a complicated person with alot of talents and hobbies. However there is one that has always driven me despite anything, and that is space.

I LOVE space. I want to spend my life travelling the stars in my own ship, with a small crew, doing whatever. Mining, cargo runs, transport, surveillance. I don't much care what it is I do, as long as I'm in space.

I'm so obsessed with this singular thought, that I am in the process of designing my own small ship that I have every intention of building. Complete with the technology necessary to make my personal dream a reality. This includes technologies that don't yet exist, or at least not publicly. I've been designing this for over a year now, and before that spent years learning about everything I need to know to do it right.

I also feel now is the best time to get into it. It's the dawn of a new space age for humanity. Russia planning to colonize the moon (FINALLY), SpaceX taking space travel to the private sector, NASA having it's successful Mars mission, and more. There is no reason civillians can't join in as well. Possibly even improve where these other groups have failed.

Anyone else share my dream?
    Imani Gray, Krescent and ragexbeat like this.
  2. ragexbeat

ragexbeat Well-Known Member Senior Member

Local Time:
    I'm not techie enough to ever be able to build a ship, but I've always dreamed of flying one. Pilot extraordinaire! Or be a navigator, that always sounded like fun too. I've always thought there was something provocative about space and I want in it!
  3. Krescent

Krescent Well-Known Member Senior Member

Local Time:
    Exploring space would be pretty cool, given that you have the ability to travel at/near the speed of light. But even then it would take so damn long. Anyways this seems pretty interesting. How long do you think it will take to complete this?
  4. Cerberuspaw

Cerberuspaw Senior Member Senior Member Indiegogo Backer

Local Time:
    6:05 AM
    Always wanted to at least be in orbit to see the beauty of space myself
  5. Aryth

Aryth Developer Senior Member Indiegogo Backer

Local Time:
    I designed a thermonuclear fusion reactor that is about the size of a refrigerator using a spinoff of a theoretical Navy design as the core. The geometry leads me to believe that it could eventually produce energy useful for something, but currently the criteria aren't all sufficiently met. Nuclear energy will probably be the energy that will take us to the space age, since the energy output is many times what you put in, and there's no shortage of potential fuels (I'm using Deuterium-Tritium reactions as a basis)

Some 17 year old built a crappy portable reactor (can't even break even on energy output), and he's famous. I hope to do something way better than what that retard did.

I have a passion for anything scientific. Going into space will certainly be interesting. Traveling through space (to where you can see something beyond our solar system) will require speeds we haven't reached yet, and it will also curve the time we experience (i.e. we'll live longer if we travel at a high speeds in space. Haha).
  6. axlsjolund

Local Time:
    I don't know for certain when my ship will be done, but I am shooting for 2 decades as a realistic goal. But without the right "crew", it'll be built much sooner. And with the right minds helping me with tech, even sooner than that. Right now I'm still in the blueprint phase for the ship, and mapping out the tech I need. We're also scouting out a space to rent for us to build in. My friends work has a shop that is the perfect size, he think he'll be able to find someone close to it around the same size.

It's good to hear I'm not the only one designing experimental tech. I personally feel antimatter will be the key to a space fuel source. Nuclear just causes too many problems both in energy output and design. If you're interested, I'd love to have someone to bounce ideas off of for the project. I have a variety of stuff that needs to be perfected, and I'm the only one on the "crew" with the knowledge to do it right now.

While FTL "Faster Than Light" will be a necessity for deep space exploration and colonization, for the immediate future it is not necessary. We need to learn to colonize our own solar system before we move outside it. I was thinking of a propulsion tech that will get us to mars in 1/3 the time it takes conventional rockets. This will allow ships like mine to be cargo runner/transport ships that would be able to ferry supplies to and from mars in a colonization effort. Nothing extravagant, but important first steps for humanity to move out past our planet.

My main focus tech wise is not FTL. The tech I want is based off some sci-fi, with real applications. First and foremost is a (for the most part) self-sustaining life support system. If long-term space missions are the future, we need a sure way to breathe without stopping all the time. Next importance is energy source. We need something powerful, easy (ish) to manage, and long lasting. After power is either EM Fields or Plasma Shields. This technology is needed to provide shielding from background radiation, as well as "deflect" smaller debris off the ship, allowing the ship to travel without being damaged. After that is engines/propulsion.
  7. Aryth

Aryth Developer Senior Member Indiegogo Backer

Local Time:
    Well, I agree. If Light Speed was your goal, the potential for energy output from antimatter reactions would be absolutely necessary. However, a sustainable power source from nuclear reactions could achieve the same thing keeping the scope within the solar system (and is likely the next step in the technological evolution of things). Just keep in mind that nuclear power has yet to meet it's full potential. We're not making bombs or radiation machines, we are making power sources and neutron production devices. As far as antimatter is concerned, we simply have to be able to increase the rate at which antiparticles are made, currently the production rate is about 10% of what is actually possible on average, and the traps that they are contained in aren't exactly stable for something as risky as space travel.

Life support within the solar system is actually not all that difficult, but it is definitely not self-sustaining. It would need to make use of everything internally (as there is nearly nothing in space), and be able to turn it into a habitable atmosphere. Did you have any ideas for that yet?

An EM field is a lot harder than you might think to get in space (unless it is TINY). The planets, stars, and other heavenly bodies have LARGE (but not strong) magnetic fields, and this EM radiation may make it difficult to stabilize a field outside of the ship itself (at least for extended periods of time). Even if such a field were available, it would have to be intense to do what you would like it to do. EM fields, at the very least, will immediately repel any conductive material that may be moving towards the ship, but there's no telling what other radiation may do to it. I suppose, in essence, it is a possibility to force the ship to generate it's own field (like a solar object).
  8. axlsjolund

Local Time:
    I had a few ideas for the life support system, but nothing solid as of yet. The hard part is figuring the best way to recycle air as it is used without any sort of loss of quality or high need for materials.
  9. Imani Gray

Imani Gray Member Senior Member

Local Time:
    I share this dream. Kinda ...sorta
    None of my friends are interested in space its like they don't even know it exist or that its a mass Hoax. so with no one to talk to about it my imagination tears my mind apart.

Theres nothing Id love more than to visit VY Canis Majors and any surrounding stars in my lifetime and see its light it with my own eyes before it dies(Or i die). Something that massive leaves me at a loss of words and full of ideas.

When I was a lot younger younger (Like 7) Id Imagine building a dreadnought like ship powered by a hamster sized star and filling it with plants to produce oxygen and living off foods I grew then traveling all over the place helping other species.

I doubt id be able to leave earth at all let alone see VY alive and burning buuut heres hoping!
  10. axlsjolund

Local Time:
    If you want it to happen enough, it can happen. Especially when it comes to space.

If NASA's budget wasn't small for so long, we'd be alot farther in overall space tech and travels. We'd also be alot farther if it had gone to the private sector alot sooner.