Lancer

Discussion in 'Classes' started by Asani, Nov 22, 2013.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 2 users.
  1. Asani

Asani Well-Known Member Indiegogo Backer

Local Time:
    8:09 PM
    Personally, I would love to play a Lancer in The World. I don't see any real character model ideas. When I think of lancers I think of BT and Gardenia-- So I suppose they would be slender and have an 'older' look to them, as opposed to wave masters? Just taking a glance at the character drawings the Wave masters and Thieves seem like younger character types, where as Knights and Berserk-ers look older.

In the games and TV series of dot hack many of the characters show a variety of ages. Will this be the case in the game?
  2. Crim

Crim Guest

Local Time:
    5:09 PM
    I hope so. I love when character optimization allows for you to make a young apprentice looking character or old sage looking character. It adds a lot to people who wish to roleplay their character in the world. But I do know they plan to have an extensive character customization to allow for many unique characters, but that feature is still a long ways away from being anything but basic at this point. Feel free to add more feedback to this request and in the future when they add such features.
  3. Asani

Local Time:
    True, I realize it's a ways off, but I was just asking in general out of curiosity. I guess I was putting the carriage ahead of the horse. ^_^;;
  4. Keramory

Keramory Guest

Local Time:
    We want to go pretty far with character customization. There are some limitations due to animations (such as no hair down to the back of your ankles or beards to your knees) but as for how far it'll go we're unsure yet (when it comes to child characters or giant ones).

I will say each basic class will have its own style of character customizations in regards to armor. For example a majority of lancer's custom armor will be light plated armor mixed in with cloth or just cloth due to their need to "jump around". Just as mages will not for the most part have armor, just robes. There will be exceptions to this rule, especially when it comes to rare or event customizations that anyone can equip. Another example is maybe one light armored set for mages with a breastplate and shoulder armor...or a crimson knight like set from .hack in which any character can equip.
    Asani likes this.
  5. Asani

Local Time:
    That sounds awesome! One thing I always really liked about The World in .Hack// was the fact that all the characters did hold that same general look, but with so many variations. The symbols on the skin, the body builds, and things of that nature. I can't wait to toy around with that once you get that far. ^_^
  6. Keramory

Keramory Guest

Local Time:
    symbols of skin and the "older look" are simply texture swaps so they're rarely an issue. Bigger builds from the classes norm might come later as its a physical mesh change that effects a number of things.
  7. Frozte

Frozte Active Member

Local Time:
    2:09 AM
    well.. i think i read somewhere that lancer will be able to transform to a reaper class. if that is true, then i think back on Haseo(third form i guess) with the black metal armor and a scythe. that was some sort of metal/medium armor mix.
  8. Mattimao1239

Mattimao1239 Chicken Chaser Senior Member

Local Time:
    Woot another lancer :D
    Frozte likes this.
  9. Keramory

Keramory Guest

Local Time:
    Advanced classes share more or less their basic classes customizations. There are a few exceptions....such as a few armor sets of a full cloaked outfit for reaper...or another and better example...a samurai outfit for the samurai class.

This is to ensure people play the classes they want AND be able to make their character the way they want. Using blademaster as an example again, some people might want to choose Samurai over Hero but want their character to look more Cloud like in uniform. Or the other way, someone might want to choose Hero over Samurai but make their outfit more eastern. I have no reason to get in the way of that...as long as a mage isn't going in full tank looking gear its fine.

I can't stress this enough, although it will have its share of difficulties...this is a CASUAL game for the most part. Be who you want to be, and do what you want to do without fear of appearances or party balance.
    Frozte likes this.
  10. Frozte

Frozte Active Member

Local Time:
    That is one thing i loved in THE WORLD.. that "you" could choose your look based on what YOU like and your appearance would not change by putting on a new armor. I miss that in a lot of mmo's... I miss the part where you can be who you want to, and not just another warrior or mage with the same gear in the same colors.
    Red-Adept-Rouge likes this.
  11. Keramory

Keramory Guest

Local Time:
    And thats the idea we wont to hold. We also want people to not worry so much on a character they can never edit or change however...hence why you can go to any root town and change your armor at will. That or we will limit it to the second root town so you at least have to get to some level before you can do so...or by some quest.

As for those concerned on gear checks for raid ... we should have a method to do so, similar to an examine command in ffxi/ffxiv.

For something within game (stats) that one can show off besides rare or hard to achieve armor customization, weapons are shown as equipped like in most games, so there is no worry on that.
    Frozte likes this.
  12. Nineball

Nineball Active Member Senior Member Indiegogo Backer

Local Time:
    7:09 PM
    to be honest This is what I always think of when I think Lancer, for obvious reasons. Hope we can get something like this, doesn't seem to out of place with the current style.
    Proto_lancer.png
    Scipio, Asani and Mattimao1239 like this.
  13. Mattimao1239

Mattimao1239 Chicken Chaser Senior Member

Local Time:
    He looks like such a friggin' badass D: (on a side note is that a fire emblem character?)
    Silaan likes this.
  14. Silaan

Silaan Man Behind the Mask! Senior Member

Local Time:
    looks more like Fate/Stay Night to me . . .

EDIT: yep, that is Lancer of Fate/Prototype...

On a side-note: when the weapon is a Spear then lighter armor is problably more likely to work... when the weapon is an actuall Lance thought, I actually think of a heavily armored Person with a shield riding a horse . . .
    Nineball likes this.
  15. Crim

Crim Guest

Local Time:
    I also think of a lancer as someone who wears light mobile plate armor. He would have shoulder protection for sure, but you have to think that with the reach of his weapon, he can keep most of his body safe from up close attacks. Or at least deadly shots. So keeping joints and shoulders protected like that image makes sense to me. But the most badass fighters go in with little to no armor, like Crim did. Your polearm or what ever weapon that works just gives you a defense that doesnt even put you into hand to hand combat. Its more like hand to too far to reach combat. Poke Poke.
  16. Asani

Local Time:
    I can see Lancers wearing helmets-- and even gauntlets-- just more than likely not as heavy as say a Knight. More cloth and less metal than them for sure-- but heavier than a thief or a wave master too.
  17. Viscro

Viscro Community Manager Senior Member Indiegogo Backer

Local Time:
    This woman is scary to me with increasing probability. If anyone want to know how I feel about the game and its evolution, then he should ask Asani... :confused:

Asani, you're taking me over and over again the words from the mouth. :eek:
    That's seriously a bit strange. :D
    Asani likes this.
  18. Asani

Local Time:
    ^_^ Sorry about that, Viscro-- Not meaning to creep you out. :p I guess great minds think alike.
  19. Viscro

Viscro Community Manager Senior Member Indiegogo Backer

Local Time:
    You make me not only scared, you will be also always more sympathetic. x3 :p
  20. Joseph Stacko

Joseph Stacko Senior Member Senior Member

Local Time:
    7:09 PM
    You obviously do not know of the great wizard TRANSMUTOROUS.

He wore full plate, had a giant T on his belt, and used his magic to make himself grow.