Kickstarter page

Discussion in 'Kickstarter/Indiegogo' started by Keramory, Nov 15, 2012.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 2 users.
  1. Keramory

Keramory Guest

Local Time:
    10:20 PM
    Start with format?

Banner

Dev Video

Trailer Video

- What it's about (basic)

- What makes it unique

- Goals in the game

- Classes (which will provide a link)

- Backstory (which will provide link)

- Fields/Dungeons

- Weapons/Armor/Gem System

-Mounts

- About the staff

- What we need and why

- FAQs

(side catagory, pledges)
  2. Keramory

Keramory Guest

Local Time:
    Write a summary about yourselves by the way. (Why you started working on the project, why you think it should be funded, and why you think people should donate)
  3. Keramory

Keramory Guest

Local Time:
    [​IMG]

Hello everyone and thank you for viewing our kickstarter page! We are a small development group of friends who have recently labeled ourselves IridiumBased Entertainment. Each of our development staff members are experienced small game developers and on our free time, even longer hardcore members of various MMOs and RPG games. The Co-Creators of the project, “The World” have worked together for years creating and maintaining a small 2d MMO fan based game of .hack with another small company. Over time, our current staff has set our sights on a 3d video game. While going through college, each staff member has developed talented skills in 3d mapping, character design, animation, equipment, and programming.

This is what has brought us here! We have a strong desire to create a completely unique MMORPG (massively multiplayer online role-playing game) so vast it will become a full world that never was created before. On top of several unique aspects and concepts within our game, The World has a few elements influenced from other large games in the past that we believe worked extraordinarily well, such as .hacks gate system of traveling and games like SWTOR’s class advancements. More importantly however then just these pre-existing systems working, we ensure they work well together as well as our unique style we are bringing to our game.

As mentioned before, “The World” is a MMORPG. Although there are some aspects of advanced technology, the main theme is swords, magic, and mystery. After logging in for the first time, one will be able to create a character of many different customizations. This includes hair, face, skin color, and even religion based off our deities (which does affect stats to a small degree).
    From there, one will be able to explore one of our great cities before traveling out to the unknown, fighting monsters and exploring the depths of The World for rare and exotic treasure!

This sound familiar? Well, the core concept is similar to nearly every MMORPG out there. However, the main difference is that, instead of traveling miles with only your own two legs, you'll be traveling to the unknown by the power of a Chaos Portal. Using keywords, one will be able to travel to fields and explore dungeons. These fields can be vastly different from one another, ranging from harsh elements to different kinds of enemies.

[​IMG]

The Chaos Portal system is a keyword warping system inspired by ".hack//", and is unique in MMOs. By imputing different keywords, one will be warped to unique fields of those keywords (based off the town they came from). What this means is there will be countless landscapes and every single one of them will be unique. Not only this the Dungeons will be unique based off the keywords as well. Of course the monsters, bosses, and treasures located within these maps will be vast, so every trip through the Chaos Portal will be an adventure.

For those worried about meeting other players on these vast variations of fields, let us ease your minds. First off, if someone imputs the same keywords as someone else, they will be together on the field with that other person. The Keywords do NOT create new fields when imputed. They only teleport to fields already made. In addition, we've found through years of experience with this system, players, like with any other MMO, have prefered spots for camping and leveling. There will be in any MMO, hotspots where you will find most players going through in leveling. For our system, that means there will be fields that are more popular then others. This is something the players can take advantage of. Over time players who either prefer to play alone or with many other people will learn which fields to go to.

Elements

This also brings up another unique feature: the stress on the power of the elements. Although many MMO's stress only a little on things such as "fire beats wood", and "wood beats water," we plan to encourage our players to keep their elemental advantage against their enemies! Monsters, weapons, and bosses stress the importance of the element they are powered by.There will also be a concept built around Elemental Crystals. All weapons, starting out, have a neutral base with basic weapon skills. However you can make your weapon stronger by forging an Elemental Crystal to give the weapon elemental skills and bonus damage. Although they cannot be defused, these powerful new weapons will help players greatly with their quests.

[​IMG]

Classes are broken down into two categories. Basic Classes and Advanced Classes. A Basic Class is what everyone will start out with. After leveling up for a while, there will be a time where you will have to choose your Advanced Class. Each Basic Class can choose from two Advanced Classes, each with their own unique advantages and skills. Normally, only one of the Advanced Class choices allows a different set of weapons than its Basic Class. For example, a Lancer can choose a Reaper to be able to use a Scythe!

Basic Classes include:
    • The Knight, the hero determined to protect their friends from the dangers of The World.
    • The Thief, the stealthy class that specializes in acquiring treasures.
    • The Wavemaster, a mage with magic symbols to summon powerful spells against their foes.
    • The Blademaster, a balanced class in all aspects, using giant swords to defeat their enemies.
    • The Lancer, a nimble spear and staff master who uses agile attacks in blinding speeds.
    • And lastly... Runecaster! A gunner who uses a special gun to shoot cartridges imbued with powerful magic at their opponents.
    There is a lot more information on classes as well as their advanced options to be found at our website.

[​IMG]

Now, another important aspect of our game, especially for one of our staff members, is the story! No world can be interesting without a rich, deep history that sets itself apart from other worlds and universes. Although there are many things that make a game, we believe that a complex and meaningful story is what sets our game apart from many others. The most interesting part of an MMO of any kind is that the show must always go on. Unlike many games, where, if the story ends, the game ends; we plan to continue creating amazing stories that the players will go through as they venture through our world.

For those who are interested, the back story can be found on our Website. To sum it up, The World is allowed rotate by the actions and creations of the Twin Goddesses, Aura and Luna, for through them several deities were created.

Of course there will be plenty of quests! We have designed a large number of quests, each with their own path, telling their own tales. Some quests are simply fun, designed to challenge a player or a group, but many other quests expand to include gaining knowledge of The World which cannot found in the main story of the game. These include further understanding of the landscape, ruins, current towns, and even monster tribes!

Finally, one of the most unique features in this MMORPG is to create a system in which everything is affected by one another. Players will have a massive influence on the environment around them. Not only this, but, when left alone, the monsters themselves will help shape the surrounding area, leading to several surprises that await unsuspecting players. Remember, this is a world, and we plan to treat it as such.

[​IMG]

The World is very large and has been, for the most part, unexplored for thousands of years. Only recently has the human race gathered enough strength and knowledge to expand their reach beyond their towns, cities, and strongholds. Together, the human race has slowly begun to expand and is discovering ruins of races long gone. Many of these ruins and dungeons contain dangers that most cannot even imagine. For those brave enough to be willing to take the risk, however, will be greatly rewarded by the treasures hidden deep within.

Using the aforementioned Chaos Gate, players can explore large landscapes which are characterized by different elements. Areas included could be frozen tundras, beaches, mountains, forests, and even volcanoes! Hidden on these massive fields are hidden ruins and castles that have long since been forgotten. Within these dark corridors and stairways are powerful creatures that now call these abandoned structures their new homes. If an adventurer is lucky, they may also find, beyond the dangers, a rune statue guarding long forgotten treasures such as sacred armors and rare weapons.

These dungeons are not the only dangers players should be wary of. Some monster tribes have prospered above the ground, creating makeshift fortresses and bases to continue their operations. Finally, there are rumors of strange lands and structures that defy all reason and lack any logical explanation.
  4. Keramory

Keramory Guest

Local Time:
    [​IMG]

Atop the many features of the game -- the environment and world surrounding the players -- we understand the value and importance of player to player interactions. Guilds will be in the game, are player made and will have a vast number of functions to aid groups venturing throughout The World. Groups will be able to take advantage of a multitude of options to help organize and spread their guild throughout the lands. Guilds can even compete for special fortresses and bases located on various fields, and ward off those who try and invade them.

This brings up another aspect of player versus player interaction, PvP. There will be PvP interaction within The World, but not everywhere. We understand the important line that exists between players who live for PvP and those who do not prefer it, and we have always worked to please both sides. We have come to the conclusion that the more dangerous areas (PvP areas) will contain the best treasures. We see a nice balance from adding an extra danger in finding the most desired of weapons and armor, and many agree with this concept. PvP will not be limited to free range slaughter. Tournaments, both official and player made, will be available to the users. Eventually, other PvP additions will be created; like Sieges, for example.

Player versus Environment (PvE) will also have be expanded beyond quests and storylines. We, the developers, love armies. We want the player to be able to experience all out war with various monster types, protecting or wiping out various monster races from strongholds for rewards. Over time, both PvP and PvE will experience a large content upgrade.

[​IMG]

Our development team has known one another for many years, mostly through the same website we grew up with as gamers and developers. Although we developed different professional paths, we all agree that our true desire is to design games, and we will not stop until we are able to do just that.

The Staff:

Lee, The World Producer.
    Lee has been a dedicated artist and storyteller throughout most of his life and through the development process. Although Lee is not as tech savvy as the rest of the team, he has pulled through with great 3D models and amazing concepts for the game. He has a Bachelors Degree in Psychology and is currently working at a mental health center. His dream is to create a great video game, then move on to the horror genre of gaming, hoping to pull at peoples heart strings as they play. This of course, will pour into The World, so prepare for a scare!

Gato, Lead Programmer
    Gato has worked along with Lee for many years on small projects for fun. Gato has not stopped pouring countless hours and hard effort into this project, continuing to out-do himself with every small update he makes. He has pushed the game as far as it has gotten today, and helped maintain the dedicated community we have.

Axl, Lead Texture/Interface Designer
    Axl has continued to be a strong member of various .hack communities and eventually stumbled on this project a while back. Using his artistic talents he has helped reshape how the game looks and feels. To top it off he has also created the current forums and website, which are both fantastic.

Brian, Gameplay Developer: Combat
    Having a Bachelor’s Degree in Mathematics, Brian has helped shape the battle mechanics and balancing in not only the classes themselves but all around combat and interactions. He is also constantly aiding in the physics of the game as well. Like all of us, he hopes to turn his skills into a long time profession of video game development.

[​IMG]

Your pledge will be used to shape this world by giving us the ability to have magnificent Music so that not a single field or town will be dull, Animations that breathe life into the characters that inhabit TheWorld; beautiful 3D Models that can bring you joy in the simplest of moments, game changing Plugins that allow us to extend the features this game has to offer while speeding up development further, stunning Textures that compliment and expand the beauty of every model, Quests and Stories that consist of grandiose epics that will inspire you not only to read them, but also to be involved emotionally; a Server back-end that can hold up against thousands of users interacting in a dynamic world, Effects that call forth constant amusement and awe, and Gameplay that is not only well thought out, but also fun.

Open Source MMO

Working on creating an MMO has been a long, difficult journey. At the time of inception, when The World was only a dream, we had no idea that this game would require so much from us, and while we have enjoyed the journey so far, we would like to make the path easier to travel for teams in the future -- since very few solutions exist for gamers and indie developers looking to achieve their dreams of creating a game aside from dedicating their entire lives to a project. We hope to help fill this void by offering our game's code Open Source to the developer community; along with examples and documentation, with the hope that gamers and developers alike can spend less time worrying about code and spend more time creating their dream worlds.

For more in-depth game information. Please check out our development outline HERE. (Link needs to be added.)

[​IMG]
    This product is proudly participating in Brian Fargo's Kicking it Forward program, where 5% of this project's profit will be used as pledges for other Kickstarter projects.

Special thanks to everyone in the community who extended a helping hand to get us this far: Akira, Belial, Panta, Joe, Cold, Bruder Marcus, Insydius, Robert H., Golthan, Zach, Jarrod, Fili, Ashido, Shinsei, Melly, Kyle, Aaranic, Sam G., Deserter, Tayangco, Alkaid, Kazuki, Zacharias, Lunamali, Macha, Ender, Nasutchi, Azuretre, Karserus, cpuman, Jackals, AzureCloud, Kungfuboom, Cerberuspaw, Amorouslovers, IridiumBased Community We <3 You!

[​IMG]

Q: Where do I join the discussion community?
    A: You can find our forum at IridiumBased

Q: What happens if you go over the goal?
    A: We will use the money to get more/better quality assets and features, the extra money will also allow us to spend even more time making the game perfect. More importantly, we will add many more features and content into the game that we would have been unable to add previously.

Q: When can I expect the game to be finished?
    A: Estimated development time to get the game up to quality is 1 year.

Q: How will I get the game?
    A: Digital download by our website. You can also receive a link in your email or another method if you so choose.

Q: How do I get access to the beta?
    A: We will send you an email when the beta starts, and it will include information on how to make your account.

Q: When will you ship the rewards?
    A: The delivery period will be in description for each individual item.

Q: How will sizing work for the shirts
    A: After the Kickstarter has completed you'll be able to choose your sizing in the survey that follows.

Q: What should I put on my survey if I'm planning to move soon?
    A: The location that you are moving to.

Q: What if I forgot to pledge the additional $10 for international shipping?
    A: Please contact our staff so we can fix the issue.

Q: What platforms is the game going to be on?
    A: PC & Mac with POSSIBLE Linux development after its release.

Q: Will players have the rights to publish videos of the game on YouTube channels?
    A: Yes

Q: Minimum specs - am I going to need a supercomputer to run The World?
    A: No, throughout the development process we will take every opportunity to make the game as easy on player’s computers as possible, and will have options that should allow a very large range of computers to play the game. This being said we plan to create a beautiful world, in which everyone can sit back and enjoy the scenery. We will work hard to balance the two into our game.

Q: What if I can't use Kickstarter for some reason, can I use PayPal?
    A: We accept donations at our website.

Q: Will the game be downloaded off the internet or on a disc?
    A: It will be downloaded.

Q: Why are you asking for so much money?
    A: To ensure quality of our project and to guarantee it is released within a timely manner. For this we need a dedicated staff team working full time on the project.

Q: What languages will The World be localized in?
    A: Currently the only planned language is English.

Q: Can I get my digital copy on Steam, if I want?
    A: We plan to have our game released on Steam as well.
  5. Keramory

Keramory Guest

Local Time:
    I might change the first part.
    I'm mixed strongly on the idea of bringing up .hack or not. If we make this seem like its a rip, people will be turned off...OR...assumed we will get in legal trouble and not help us.
  6. Aryth

Aryth Developer Senior Member Indiegogo Backer

Local Time:
    12:20 AM
    Thats a good idea. Also, I don't have a masters in math. I have a bachelors degree. O.O
  7. Keramory

Keramory Guest

Local Time:
    I thought you will have your masters in a few weeks?
  8. Aryth

Local Time:
    O.O No. I get my bachelor's next Saturday. I'll be half way to a Master's degree though.
  9. Keramory

Keramory Guest

Local Time:
    Ohh I see, I'll change it. Whats the exact degree
  10. Aryth

Local Time:
    B.S. in Professional Mathematics
  11. Icedsteaz

Icedsteaz Marketing Agent Senior Member Indiegogo Backer

Local Time:
    I don't think I'll be needing one, but I can record me reciting the script in front of my many monitors with animations and the game in the background
  12. Aryth

Local Time:
    There are three videos... With three different people... O.O
  13. Icedsteaz

Local Time:
    Vayu likes this.
  14. Aryth

Local Time:
    Please... Put an emphasis on recreate. We cannot use the "The World" from the .Hack games. We need to remove anything that may bring a potential lawsuit.
  15. Icedsteaz

Local Time:
    Alright, I was thinking the same as well
  16. Keramory

Keramory Guest

Local Time:
    Yeah we want the Logo for The World to be original...and quite frankly as much as we can to be original.
    I want .hack fans to notice the similarities without us having to say it out right...but no one accuse of copyright or copycatting cc2/bandai/.hack
  17. Keramory

Keramory Guest

Local Time:
    Also as for banners...althouggh what you're getting is great I forgot about an actual banner...I ment those thin little titles that seperate each section of kickstarter.
    Like if you see the kickstarter
    "What is The World?"
    "Classes"
    "Landscape"
    "About the developers"
    They should be thin, like how that top kickstarter game project did. Each doesnt have to be unique, just a nice banner we can edit with a nice font to pump out a few of them easily after the initial one is done.
  18. Siegfre
    • Staff / Administrator

Siegfre [IridiumBased] President Staff Member

Local Time:
    Since we can't do a donation to charity we apparently can donate to other kickstarter project though. I noticed project eternity had a link to this http://kickingitforward.org/ at the bottom of their page. I think we might want to do the same. So I'll add in the image and what not to the bottom of our current kickstarter page.

Also additional reward ideas: (also from project eternity's page) Soundtrack, dev documentary, free pass to launch party, postcards, forum benefits/titles, custom playing cards.
  19. Siegfre
    • Staff / Administrator

Local Time:
    Added the donation thing to your above post ker.
  20. Siegfre
    • Staff / Administrator

Local Time:
    Perhaps we should have a graphical timeline showing what will happen after the kickstarter.

Kickstarter -> Begin prize delivery (1 month/ak*) -> Begin open-sourcing project to public (2 month/ak) -> Closed Beta(5 month/ak) -> Open Beta (1 year/ak) -> Official Launch(1 1/2 year/ak)

*(ak - after kickstarter)

What does my pledge help create?
    Your pledge will be used to shape this world by giving us the ability to have magnificent Music so that not a single field or town will be dull, Animations that breathe life into the characters that inhabit TheWorld; beautiful 3D Models that can bring you joy in the simplest of moments, game changing Plugins that allow us to extend the features this game has to offer while speeding up development further, stunning Textures that compliment and expand the beauty of every model, Quests and Stories that consist of grandiose epics that will inspire you not only to read them, but also to be involved emotionally; a Server back-end that can hold up against thousands of users interacting in a dynamic world, Effects that call forth constant amusement and awe, and Gameplay that is not only well thought out, but also fun.

(Someone please edit the above, I've always had issues with run-on sentences.)

Opensource needs to have a section with some stuff in it as well on the kickstarter page.

Special thanks to everyone in the community who extended a helping hand to get us this far: Akira, Belial, Panta, Joe, Cold, Bruder Marcus, Insydius, Robert H., Golthan, Zach, Jarrod, Fili, Ashido, Shinsei, Melly, Kyle, Aaranic, Sam G., Deserter, Tayangco, Alkaid, Kazuki, Zacharias, Lunamali, Macha, Ender, Nasutchi, Azuretre, Karserus, cpuman, Jackals, AzureCloud, Kungfuboom, Cerberuspaw, IridiumBased Community We <3 You!