just starting, keep dying, wondering...

Discussion in 'The World Message Board' started by ManiPadme, Oct 2, 2015.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 3 users.
  1. ManiPadme

ManiPadme New Member

Local Time:
    8:28 PM
    hiya guys,

really excited about this project that's goin on here.

ive successfully figured out a few things, like character customization, and changing classes, and equiping the right weapon for that class. believe it or not, this is a major improvement for me :p

all i could do for a while til i discovered the settings log for the keybind was to wander around the root town[oh how it could do with a boat occasionally floating down the middle of the canals with perhaps a short female character with wings and a gaurd-like character standing by her;)] and occasionally visiting the cathedral at hidden forbidden holyground.

still, every time i try and attack a monster in the level one area, i die really quickly before i get any damage on it. it seems difficult to even attack and takes a weird combination of left and right clicking to attack, i even hot-keyed the attack moves to alpha 1 & 2, but i cant seem to get it figured out so that i do the attacking motion each time i try. i tried out wavemaster because of his spell, so i could be certain it was being cast, still no damage was done i noticed.

i really want to level before beta. any tips?

and hey, every time i log on, im the only one on the server, where are you guys?

:u)
    mani
  2. flamedog

flamedog Draeanale Senior Member Indiegogo Backer Parkour Master

Local Time:

Levels will be reset before beta.
  3. Unwashed Towel

Unwashed Towel Member

Local Time:
    6:28 PM
    Hello! I am also a new player, but I can give you some insight.

For starters, either the coins or fire spell are bugged at the moment. I have made a post in the bug reports so hopefully that is fixed in the next update. = )

As for your attacking issue. I know it is strange, it took me a few to get used to melee combat. For starters, try locking your camera with the ctrl button. This will lock your mouse to your camera (opposed to being a mouse cursor on your screen). This will allow you to use both Left and Right clicks for attacking. Another tip, charge your attack... as far as I can tell it does no damage increase, but it makes combat more fluid. If you hold your left mouse button and release right as you approach your enemy you will notice a substantial increase in accuracy. Also, Watch your energy consumption with attacks!!! There is a number in your portrait area of stat bars (health and mana) It starts at 100 and drains every time you execute an attack! If it is at 0 you cant attack.

the only other thing that I can say is to get used to movement with the camera locked (press ctrl). Never stand still in front of your enemy!!! Think Dark Souls if you have played it... worry more about avoiding attacks and land attacks when you know you can. This can be difficult on coins seeing as how it is difficult to tell when they will attack due to a lack of a solid attack animation, so I basically run around them in circles only attacking after I hear them attack. And don't forget, 2 enemies are harder to avoid in combat than 1, so if you get jumped... RUN!

I personally do not have an access key and do not know if I will be able to afford one anytime soon. But I do play on the free days, if you plan on logging in, send me an invite! maybe you can help me kill my first monster! xD
    Oberon likes this.
  4. Unwashed Towel

Unwashed Towel Member

Local Time:
    Not trying to be a troll... but I keep seeing you post this video in response to a lot of new players questions and issues. Just fyi... as a new player myself, its really not very useful other than showing how to use the warp gate, it is all outdated footage, fire spell currently does not damage coins, and you are showing a high level character from an old patch, I'm guessing (seeing as how you can no longer use any of those spells to my knowledge). Don't get me wrong, Good video for when it was relevant, but if you are trying to help out new players, why not try updating it? Or take the time to type out an actual response to his questions, (he asked about how attacking works not what it was like to be a wavemaster last patch) or maybe make a different account and see what it is like to be a new player at this point in time and make a video of that? I wouldn't even mind helping out if I can in anyway = )

Like I said, not trying to be a troll. Just thought it could be constructive criticism....
  5. TokioKuryuu

TokioKuryuu Allgegenwärtige Katze Senior Member

Local Time:
    That video is up-to-date. It might be from an old patch, but it does still work for the latest patch. If you feel that video is outdated, you can always check out my guide. It is more recent and up-to-date than the video. Check it out.
  6. Donyxz

Donyxz New Member Backer

Local Time:
    5:28 PM
    My advice: temporarily use a blademaster or knight, regardless of the class you desire to use. Only the iron sword and heirloom sword seem to have stats out of the starter weapons. You're going to need some sort of damage to hurt coins. Approach ONE coin at a time, allow it to close with you. Before it strikes, roll to the side. If you can get under it or beside it, it will glitch the coin's fov, and it will stop moving and attacking. I don't often advise glitches, but since the game's starter weaponry is useless and the wavemaster's starter skill is broken, this is what we seem left with...for now.
    At level two, you develop your own atp, and you can choose whichever class you wish. Farm coins, then move on. Better gear will drop along the way.
    (edited 3x. I'm tired, and my English is failing me.)
  7. Unwashed Towel

Unwashed Towel Member

Local Time:
    The Fact of the matter is... his video did not answer a single one of the original thread starters questions... so why post it? Flamedog did the same thing to me when I was first trying out the game. Tried to tell me that the fire spell was not glitched, and tried to use this video as proof! Then I made a 10 second video proving him wrong. Now here he is again, posting this video that does not help out new players at all! The only useful info in that video from a new outstanding out-going bipartisan perspective is where to buy weapons.

Simply put, if you are going to post a comment on someone's forum thread, and that person is asking for help and info, you should try to make the help/info you give them RELEVANT to the subject that person needs help with. Flamedog simply shows up, posts his worthless video, but never really helps. Maybe you know the guy and that is why you are defending him? I don't know, I don't care. I was simply pointing out that his video is 100% irrelevant to the subject he is responding to. The person who started this asked for tips about attacking, which can be awkward if you do not understand how to lock/unlock your camera (Flamedogs video does not talk about that at all!) he also mentioned that the Fire spell was not dealing damage in the first area (Flamedogs video does not show him as a level 1 using fire on coins in the lvl 1 area, it shows him at level 30, tossing fire at coins in a different area. Maybe the area makes a difference ( it would make sense because of the area element, but i think that coins should be coins and have the same weakness as all other coins, unless the coin is named and looks different. (I.e. Water Coins/Wind Coins) Also, I do not remember Wind being immune to Fire EVER in the .hack games... so if the team has changed that particular mechanic, there should be a way of knowing (I.e. Have the word IMMUNE pop up in place of any floating combat text. Basically, If he really wanted to help new players he would put himself in their shoes instead of expecting them to watch him walking in his own shoes and expecting that to help.
  8. Cerberuspaw

Cerberuspaw Senior Member Senior Member Indiegogo Backer

Local Time:
    7:28 PM
    Wow man, ease up a tad. As far as the questions and concerns the individuals results vary yea the fire spell could be bugged. But as each person will experience bugs differently and the testing community is small there are isolated incidences. The hit boxes for many of the creatures need to be tweaked with some creatures separating from the hit boxes entirely. Specifically coins with there irregular shape, as for the defending of flame he has been assisting players with their introduction to the game for quite some time and the video has helped other players. State what you believe the video is lacking and we will make an effort to update it.

As for dying quickly it will happen as the formulas for damage and balancing have not been fully tweaked as these early versions were not built for combat testing but ensuring that networking and basic synching worked properly.(sorry but combat optimization will occur at a later date). But if you do wish to level up use hit and run tactics as well as gating out. Damage dealt to a specific target remains even after gating out. Using this you can build your levels. Though it will be quite some time before you can continuously exchange with the mobs roughly level 10-15 for melee classes. A little lower for wavemasters.

I apologize for the delay in addressing your concerns to the both of you.
  9. Rozario

Rozario Active Member Senior Member Backer

Local Time:
    Ok, so im also a new user, i joined up a while back and decided to leave and come back when the game was a little more developed, i can affirm that this video doesn't give much information (the forum guide has helped me for the most part) for example the video says absolutely nothing about the energy usage i thought it was a bug or something wrong with my mouse at first, and as a veteran MMO player of vast proportions (Asheron's Call 1and2,WoW, Lineage2,Fairyland,FlyFF,Fiesta,MuOnline, Fantasy Earth Zero, and the list goes on) i can say that the world isnt quite user friendly yet, for example, most mmo's start you out with a weapon, so when i logged on for the first time today, i ran straight out into the field and died 5 times before i realized that i didn't have a weapon, so after going back to town and finding the shop i spent another 10 minutes trying to find out how to actually purchase the weapon, most games go by clicking on the item portrait at atleast make the whole box a button, it too me forever that i was supposed to click on the little text in the corner or the box , it atleast needs a button frame around it or something. then i spent another 5 minutes trying to equip it, only to realize that i had to pick my class in the customization menu(took me 10 minutes, and a dig through the forums before i figured out how to open the menu) I realize that it is possible that the devs could intend it to not be like other MMOs, but that being said, if the world is going to be different, it atleast need an in-game tutorial and to not SOLEY rely on the forums as a method of teaching (don't get me wrong, forums are great and it can see where you guys are trying to make it like "the board", but you need a little in game nudge to direct you sometimes, mabye an NPC to direct you to the forums would help atleast?) Now, all that being said, Hello, im Rozario, you can call me Roz :)
  10. calmchaos

calmchaos Moderator Staff Member Senior Member

Local Time:
    7:28 PM
    The quest system hasn't been finished yet, but I'm certain the game tutorial will be created shortly after the completion of that system.

As for how long before that system gets worked on in-depth, it all depends on how long it takes to get the combat system in a more final state. Having an in-game tutorial at this stage of development would be more of a waste of time than a saver of time. No point in having our sole programmer program a tutorial to explain non-final game functions that he would be bringing to a final state if not for the tutorial. xD

There will definitely be a tutorial of some sort by the time we enter beta. You can be sure of that.
    Also, welcome to IridiumBased, Roz.
  11. flamedog

flamedog Draeanale Senior Member Indiegogo Backer Parkour Master

Local Time:
    Clam :3 Find the tree : p Oh wait you can't do that quest any more : 3

(Is aware video tut doesn't help.. oh well owo)
  12. TokioKuryuu

TokioKuryuu Allgegenwärtige Katze Senior Member

Local Time:
    You, at least, should update the video and try to follow my guide as much as possible.