[Info] AIDA Games

Discussion in 'Events' started by calmchaos, Nov 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 1 user.
  1. calmchaos

calmchaos Moderator Staff Member Senior Member

Local Time:
    7:12 PM
    AIDA Games.png

Hello and welcome to the AIDA Games!

These games will test your knowledge, require careful thought, try your ability to trudge through the snow wearing nothing but a skimpy bathing suit, and prey on your creativity. Be prepared for any challenge thrown at you. Almost nothing is off-limits in the AIDA Games, and thinking outside of the box will definitely be to your benefit.

Now, rules are always necessary. These rules have been placed close to the top in hopes that no poor soul can meander to the good stuff without a few helpful tips. Please follow these simple regulations to make my, and ultimately your, life easier:

1. You may work in groups to complete any challenge, but only one person can receive the points and prize. Unless a contract was worked out – yes, I did say contract – before you send in your submission, I cannot award you anything. Points cannot be divided, and prizes cannot be split. All parties included in a submission will need to message me, personally, stating exactly who gets the reward before you send in your submission. The only exception to this rule are group challenges; and don't worry, there will plenty of group challenges. In the case of a group challenge, all members receive due credit.

2. Do not lie (on purpose). If you submit something, I assume it to be your own work. Any proof otherwise will force me to disqualify you. You will still be able to participate in future Games, but you will be unable to play in this one. Honesty is a virtue that I would like all our members to have.

3. Follow any and all instructions, including the forum rules that you should have already read by now. You can follow them loosely or like some OCD kid on coffee, but just make sure that nothing steps out of the bounds. If you are unsure, please, please send me a message. I do not want anyone to be disqualified because of some kind of miscommunication. It is such a simple thing to fix, so do not hesitate to ask.

4. Have fun! The AIDA Games are not meant to be an elitist-takes-all type contest. Everyone is given equal footing. Just loosen up a bit and give it a try. If the challenge calls for artistic talent, just give it your best shot. What you deem as “bad,” the judges may deem as perfect for the situation. Participate! If you don't win the first time, maybe you will the second or the third or the fourth or the fifth. The AIDA Games will be around for a long time, so keep trying and your day will most certainly come.
    Phew... good thing we got those out of the way. On to a more interesting topic. By now, you must be wondering things like “what are these challenges Kale speaks of,” “this is so boring – get good already,” or “pretty, pretty, shiny, shiny.” Well, let's get those questions answered with an overview of how the Games will work.

Each year, a new AIDA Game begins. Each AIDA Game is broken up into multiple rounds, with the maximum being one for each of eleven months out the year. I mean, we do need a break sometime. Those rounds are broken up into three to four challenges each, one per week. The challenges will begin on either Sunday or Monday, and they will end on Friday or Saturday. At the end of the challenge, that week's winner is announced.1 After all challenges for that round have been completed, I will tally the points up and announce that month's top three.1 That answers the first two questions, but what about the last?

As for the “pretty, pretty, shiny, shiny”2 question, I'm sure everyone would like to know that there is a very good chance each challenge will build on the next. If the first challenge has you sketch out a story concept, the next will probably have you draw out/explain an important scene. The last challenge would then probably have you defend your ideas, telling me why that story deserves to win.3 Sounds fun, right? Right... Also, you should know that I most definitely take challenge requests. Do you have some sort of awesome idea for a challenge or set of challenges? By all means, message me about them! One man can only think of so much. I may not run out of ideas, but this should be a community effort. Everyone has the chance to participate fully; that's my stance, and I'm sticking with it. Also, with more people participating, I will make the challenges more and more interesting. I want this to be as fun for everyone as it will be for me, so don't hesitate to suggest anything. Any and all suggestions will be considered equally.4

Starting With the December 2013 AIDA Game, a new monetary system called Monopoly Money Online will be active. MMO will run for as long as the AIDA Games continue. In the MMO system, players can earn Monopoly Money for use in the AIDA Games and, sparingly, items from Kale (me), himself. Each submission sent in for each challenge will earn the player 100MM. Those who place first in each challenge/round/AIDA Game will earn 150MM. (It does stack, so, if you place multiple times, you get multiple rewards.) Those who place second earn 100MM, and those who place third earn 50MM. You may also acquire varying amounts of MM through community service deeds. There are no set rules for community service, but I will be fair in selection. For a current list MMO purchase-ables, look below. EDIT: The change to the IBB Bank has changed this system a bit.

Along with the AIDA Games is a currency called Iridium Based Bux, or Bux for short. You can earn Bux by participating in the AIDA Games and Crim's events. Each submission sent in to the AIDA Games will net you 100 Bux. Those who place first in each challenge/round/AIDA Game will acquire 500 Bux. It stacks, so, if you place multiple times, you get multiple rewards. Those who place second get 300 Bux, and those who place third earn 200 Bux. You may also acquire varying amounts of Bux through community service deeds and other random events. There are no set rules for community service, but I will be fair in selection. For a current list of purchase-ables, check out Crim's prize thread:
    http://forum.iridiumbased.com/threads/prizes-the-aida-games.1355/

Also, for your current Bux Balance, please check the bank:
    http://forum.iridiumbased.com/threads/ibb-bank.1808/
    At the end of every week, you will gain 2% interest on your balance. As you acquire Bux, your balance will be updated in the IBB Bank. For your convenience, your bank teller, Kale, is available for questions at any time. Send any and all questions or comments to my inbox.

Is everyone ready? (Of course we are.) Awesome! Let's get going then.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------​

Links to all official AIDA Games threads and posts:
    *Iridium Based Bux Bank – link
    *Crim's post on prizes – link
    December 2013 – link – Completed
    November 2013 – link – Completed

Honorary Suggestions:
    Mattimao – Separate thread for challenges and submissions​

1 All participants will get a medal to use on the forum while the top three of each round get a personalized certificate. Also note that each top-three winner may choose a prize from Crim as well as receive a hand-drawn certificate from me. Winners will be invited to a private conversation with Crim and myself to discuss rewards.

2 Oh, yes. I'm taking that self-asked question seriously.

3 This is a really poor, really boring example, but trust me, there are plenty of pretty, shiny topics on the way. I couldn't spoil the fun by telling you about them now, could I?
    Members: No, of course you can't Kale.
    Kale: Why thank you. I'm so glad you understand.
    Members: Would you like a cookie?
    Kale: Sure. You guys are so kind.

4 You also get your name added to the honorary suggestions list at the bottom of the page, if your idea is implemented. This includes challenge suggestions as well as suggestions for the game itself. I'll even give it a special name.
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
    Mattimao1239 likes this.
  2. calmchaos

Local Time:
    [Nov 7, 2013] UPDATE: Everyone be sure to check out Crim's amazing thread on prizes. The link was just added to the main post.
  3. calmchaos

Local Time:
    [Dec 11, 2013] UPDATE: The December AIDA Game has begun! All medals have been awarded for the November Game. Thank you to everyone who participated/intends to participate.
    Mattimao1239 likes this.
  4. calmchaos

Local Time:
    [Dec 12, 2013] UPDATE: The MMO system is now live. MM may be used starting from now on. Please read the main post for information regarding this update.
    Mattimao1239 likes this.
  5. calmchaos

Local Time:
    RE: Along with the MMO system, the Monopoly Bank has now been added.
    Mattimao1239 likes this.
  6. Crim

Crim Guest

Local Time:
    5:12 PM
    [Dec 16, 2013] UPDATE: The prize page has been updated. I am now listing the games available for the first place winners to win, plus the list of games for the second place to choose from, which is also the choices for MMO purchases.
  7. Crim

Crim Guest

Local Time:
    5:12 PM
    [Jan 14, 2014] UPDATE: With expected changes to the AIDA games, and the collection of more games for prizes. I have made some changes to the prize page, with more changes expected soon.
  8. calmchaos

Local Time:
    [Mar 8, 2014] UPDATE: All changes have been finalized, and the thread has finally been updated to reflect as such.
    Stalwart_as_the_Mount and Crim like this.
  9. calmchaos

Local Time:
    [Apr 17, 2014] UPDATE: The amounts awarded for placing in the AIDA Games have been increased. First now nets you 500, second gets you 300, and third gets you 200.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.