Indiegogo LAUNCH!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Siegfre, Oct 11, 2013.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 10 users.
  1. Siegfre
    • Staff / Administrator

Siegfre [IridiumBased] President Staff Member

Local Time:
    3:22 AM
    Hello everyone!
    For our current members who have stayed by us I would like to thank everyone for supporting us while we have been working silently. We are pleased to present our new Indie Campaign to help fund our game, to ensure the game is released quicker for everyone!
    If you are new to the forums feel free to introduce yourself in our introduction section and feel free to post! If you have any questions we'd be more then happy to answer them!

Here is the link to our Indie page, please have a look! Leave a comment and we ask even if you do not donate or cannot, please support us in any way you can by your convenience. Every little bit helps!
    http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-world-an-open-source-mmorpg/x/4896862

Thank you again for your continued support!
    The Iridium Based Staff

EDIT: It seems that PayPal is not working at the moment. According to indiegogo, it should be available in a few days. We apologize for the inconvenience and invite you to contribute when PayPal becomes available if that is your preferred method of payment.
  2. 1UP

1UP Well-Known Member Senior Member

Local Time:
    6:22 AM
    Uh if it's open source then where is the source code at?
  3. Siegfre
    • Staff / Administrator

Siegfre [IridiumBased] President Staff Member

Local Time:
    We're going to be gathering everything up and putting it in a easily accessible format. Things need to be organized, comments need to be made, and everything needs to be hosted. We will have it up once we get everything in a less convoluted form, and we'll make an announcement about it. I hope this helps.

Edit: Also I'd like to make a few engine tools first to make the code easier to use, since the goal is to make it easier for indie teams to make mmos.
    Luthor likes this.
  4. 1UP

Local Time:
    Hooray for comments
    calmchaos likes this.
  5. Oberon

Oberon Mr. Outside Senior Member Indiegogo Backer

Local Time:
    5:22 AM
    Huzzah! Reading all the things you have planned is really exciting and I hope you guys smash through your goal and stretch goals :D
  6. Crim

Crim Guest

Local Time:
    Im reading about PayPal issues with Indiegogo and its not good. I dont know why Indiegogo does not currently have PayPal up, but I am sure it is in response to all the campaigns that PayPal has messed up. Because this is an American campaign, it doesnt sound like their will be issues once it works again. But the issue is that other campaigns launched in other countries are having their PayPal accounts and funds locked. With one of them being told they would unlock 50% of the funds, and the rest after the completion of the project. Even though the point of raising the money is to complete the project.

But if you google Indiegogo and PayPal, you can read all the stories. Basically though, PayPal is hiding behind the "laws and regulations" line and really not doing anything to sort out these problems in a timely manner which is only hurting these campaigns.

My guess is that Indiegogo, which in all the stories I read say they have been very supportive with these issues, might be taking PayPal out while PayPal figures out how to solve this problem. PayPal at least says they want to be part of this whole crowd sourcing deal (why wouldnt they, its a lot of money for them to make!), but they need to figure out how to handle their computers throwing up these red flags. Ultimately I believe it to be about money and asset protection. They dont want to risk sending this money out, then people claim its fraud, then they need to lose money either returning funds or fighting litigation.

Ultimately though. If you can avoid using PayPal, please please do. Specially if sending money from out of the US. It will likely just be less of a headache dealing with Credit Cards then going through PayPal.

Lastly, do not change your mind about donating because of PayPal issues. In the end, all money makes it to the fundraiser. This project needs your help, and if PayPal is your only way to help, then please give in any way you can. I just wanted to post my thoughts on why PayPal is missing from the payment options at this time.
  7. Amorouslovers.

Amorouslovers. Well-Known Member Senior Member

Local Time:
    Ohayyyyyy, you guys are using my banner thingies. :D
    Cerberuspaw likes this.
  8. Cerberuspaw

Cerberuspaw Senior Member Senior Member Indiegogo Backer

Local Time:
    Also with the stretch goals, If certain ones are met would it still be possible at a later date to reintroduce them?
  9. Aryth

Aryth Developer Senior Member Indiegogo Backer

Local Time:
    As for the PayPal thing, there's no need to worry there. PayPal makes restrictions for those with transactions larger than or equal to $20,000. Our goal isn't even close to that, and only a percentage of our goal will be in PayPal funds. Once PayPal goes up in a day or two it will be OK to contribute via this route.

We sure are... No one made anything better. XD

What do you mean by reintroduce them?
  10. Cerberuspaw

Local Time:
    I wasn't sure if donations would be temporarily placed on hold after the 45 49 days or if they would continue?
  11. Aryth

Local Time:
    They shouldn't be. According to PayPal, the restrictions are placed on transactions that exceed $20,000. Even if we meet our stretch goals, the likelihood of this is very, very small.

There are some stories of accounts with holds on lower amounts, but those are far more sparse.
  12. Crim

Crim Guest

Local Time:
    I dont think I read any stories where the campaign was in the US. They appear to be international issues. But I was only posting as to why I think PayPal is currently removed from the site, not that it has any impact on this project. But, in my opinion, I still would want to avoid PayPal if u can. it seems they are the cause of this problem.

But, I think Cerberuspaw is asking that if the project succeeds, and stretch goals are not met, are u abandoning those goals. Which the answer I assume would be no, but it would be in a wait and see zone waiting to see what money is left to work on those things. Also, some of those stretches could be completed after the game is through. Also, this campaign is just to set up the company structure and bring the game to Beta. I would assume there would be a larger campaign for the finalizing of the game which would give any failed goal another chance to be funded.

Edit: re read Cerberuspaw's post. Maybe what he means that can the funding be re opened to reach those stretch goals after the 49 days. Which would be a no. Once the timer is done the campaign is done. Before the completion though, they could extend the timer if they felt they needed to.

-Edited out that above part because it implies something I wasnt trying to assume. Simple case of my brain having a lack of words to the message it wanted to say. I try to expand on the thought in a later post-
  13. Cerberuspaw

Local Time:
    Thank you Aryth and Crim for the clarification. Well here's to reaching those stretch goals
  14. Aryth

Local Time:
    He was talking about the case where our stretch goals were met. If they weren't, we aren't going to strike them. However, if none of our stretch goals are met in any of our campaigns then obviously they'll never happen unless we happen on the money or SDK's ourselves.

Note: This campaign is not about our company structure or establishing a business. This is about the game, and only the game. Every cent will go towards the game, so that we can make the things we couldn't when we were broke and increase the speed at which we can get good quality content out.
  15. Cerberuspaw

Local Time:
    Reread my own post and I was obviously not all there when I posted it. Sorry for that confusion. But either way I see all my questions answered.
  16. Crim

Crim Guest

Local Time:
    Sry if I mis spoke. I really am not part of the project and shouldnt have theorized on what I figured was needed here. I also did not mean things like buying equipment and offices and stuff. I really meant more like putting the project in a place where it is more like a business and less like a hobby. I went back in re read the campaign info.

[​IMG]

Where I think I made my mistake is the hiring of professionals to get certain things done. But like I said, I wasnt trying to imply buying of office things or equipment. Sorry for mis understanding. And thanks for correcting me! :)
  17. WitchRolina

WitchRolina Active Member

Local Time:
    Good luck getting to the goal! Make sure you get the word out there for people to donate - awareness is gonna be the biggest hurdle to this project!
  18. Keramory

Keramory Guest

Local Time:
    Thank you everyone for the support! We already have almost $400, and its only half a day!
    If you cannot donate, please help us spread the word. Although...I'd do it in 2-3 days as we are re-editting the videos. We hit a big bump last night and made a choice to delay or put up our old vids until we fix it. We just couldn't keep you waiting so the new videos will be up by tonight or tomorrow!
  19. 1UP

Local Time:
    Think of it as hiring a contractor. businesses do it all the time to meet deadlines
  20. Crim

Crim Guest

Local Time:
    I know what it meant, I just didnt do a good job saying what I meant. And rather then explain it any further, I just dropped it.