.Hack// [The World] Roleplay

Discussion in 'Lost Grounds' started by Haseyo, Dec 9, 2013.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 7 users.
  1. TheEnigmaticLahran

TheEnigmaticLahran Well-Known Member Senior Member

Local Time:
    5:44 PM
    Alfhild finally turned his full attention to the invite boxes. Worries eased by Max's take-charge attitude, he accepted the invites without so much as a second thought. Smiling brightly, he expressed his gratitude with a quick bow and a quick "Thanks!"

Turning his attention forward, Alfhild continued,
    "So, what should I do? Should I try to hit with my staff a bit, or should I stay back completely? The only ability I have is Repth..." Alfhild started to analyze the problem in the way he would analyze a question in school. He presumed that his level 1 skill would do little for these higher-level people, and he could only guess just how ineffective his hits would be... Alfhild's eyes started to glaze over in thought.
  2. Phase 9

Phase 9 New Member

Local Time:
    "Repth is good! Stand close to me, cast that if anyone gets hit, and swing your staff at anything that gets close to you. We should be able to rock through this-- some fire elementals, some big fish-type things, maybe some frogs. Actually, I don't think this game has frogs. I think the keyword is just called Frog Lake. Hey, maybe they added some frogs when I was gone."

Max spun his sword around idly, smashing through some imaginary enemies as he talked. As soon as the whole party of 3 was within range, the Gate would activate and transport them to the Field he'd selected. As Atlas had suggested, he'd picked one that would normally be a cakewalk, a level scaled for around 10th level characters. That can't have turned too crazy in the last few years, right?
  3. Odd-z

Odd-z Member

Local Time:
    Atlas accepts both invites. His friends list was fairly large, but the "last login" timestamps showed that they'd all been inactive for years. He decided to tidy it up later on.

Leveling was also a confusing topic for Atlas. Many players received hefty bonuses for each level including stats and abilities, but he had advanced solely through training and practice. Many of the skills he had acquired were either self-taught or just seemed to happen when prerequisites were met.
    As such, his character page showed a glitched 7 followed by some illegible characters.

Atlas walked past Alfhild and joined Max next to the gate. Seeing the field they were queued for, he says-
    "This should be a fair taste of what's happened here. Also, there are probably frogs."
  4. TheEnigmaticLahran

Local Time:
    "Alright, sounds g--"

Alfhild jumped in surprise when they teleported. He figured they would have to interact with the gate before teleporting, but once they got a certain distance from it, they were teleported. The teleporting animation was interesting, but nonetheless startling when unexpected.

(( I'll let someone else describe the zone ))
  5. Phase 9

Phase 9 New Member

Local Time:
    In Mac Anu, they'd been scattered across the maximum Gate radius, but in the field, they stood instead facing forward in a loose triangle with Max at the center. Before them was the (allegedly Restful) Geothermal Frog Pond. It was an open area, no trees, just a hundred-meter diameter circular field dotted with half a dozen bubbling ponds, each teeming with life that groaned and hissed and threw up steam. The nearest of the ponds was a quick 15-second jog from their starting position, and in it was a colony of glowing salamanders, each one at least a meter long.

The weird thing was what was outside the field-- nothing. Where normally there would be a tree-line, or a cliff, or at least a skybox of stars and mountains out in the distance, was instead a blank, seething field of black-and-white analog static. Everything outside of the field was pure chaos in the most primal sense a computer can express, true random noise, /dev/random piped to something critical. The server was feeding that chaos straight through their clients, through their video cards, and into their VR rigs. Not dangerous, but unsettling-- seeing that meant that there was something seriously wrong with this server. Or his rig.

"Everyone else is getting the graphics bug, right? No skybox, just static?" Max didn't wait for a reply. "First pond first, let's hit it. I bet I can slice two in half with one smash." He headed off to do just that, sword raised straight above his head in ludicrous-looking readiness to strike.
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2016
  6. TheEnigmaticLahran

Local Time:
    Alfhild was positively jarred by all the glitchy visuals and audio. He had only heard of urban legends where there was this much that went wrong with a program or game. He considered whether or not it could've been a stylistic choice to unnerve players on purpose, but Max's question threw that possibility into severe doubt.

"No, I'm definitely getting it too. What's going on here?" Alf* was pretty troubled by the apparent bug, but Max's attitude seemed to suggest that it wasn't too big a deal, so he took off alongside Max.

(( Gonna start using this shortening a fair bit. Looks/sounds nice ))

Alf's strides were much shorter than Max's, and with the game's level of realism, this meant that keeping up with Max's rush required nigh-sprinting. Attempting to look cool brandishing his staff while running that fast... Didn't quite work out the way he had hoped; he felt more than a bit ridiculous. He stopped a couple meters before Max, hoping neither of them had noticed. He also hoped that the VR rig wasn't transmitting his blushing.
  7. Odd-z

Odd-z Member

Local Time:
    Atlas's first action as he entered the field was to scan for one severe glitch in particular. This glitch moved seamlessly thru zones and held serious consequences for those who encountered it. Letting out a sigh of relief when he couldn't see it, Atlas void stepped to the others' side and drew his wakizashi. He crouched slightly as they approached the colony. He knew Max was the tank but he wasn't about to let him run into that crowd so aggro. Atlas void steps while crouched and appears on the other side of the salamanders. He slides his wakizashi into the back of a salamander for critical damage but, to his surprise, the salamander survives.

He'd killed thousands of these without so much as a blink.. the fact that it wasn't dead unnerved Atlas significantly.

Atlas slashes at the salamander once more as the rest of the colony aggros to him and kills it dead. Satisfied that at least one was finished, Atlas evaporates into a dark cloud and leads the horde of salamanders away from his friends.

Kiting was Atlas's specialty. He knew the exact distances he could pull mobs and be able to pick them off effectively, but he didn't want to have all the fun.

He void steps once more to appear crouched on a darker patch of grass beside the colony. He knew they wouldn't see him unless they came very close.

The salamanders look around for a moment and return to the spawn point, one short of the crowd they were.

"Your turn, Max.", Atlas whispered, "Hold their attention and I'll hit them from the back."
    "Alf, get ready to spam repth. Max will need it."
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2016
  8. TheEnigmaticLahran

Local Time:

Alf recoiled a small amount. Not because Atlas seemed really strong and did something incredible, which he did, but because he had used a nickname. Logically, it wasn't surprising, but somehow, he felt surprised anyway. "Ah--right! I'm ready!"

He motioned to stop speaking into Global, practicing saying "repth" under his breath over and over. Eventually realizing that there's no way the game would let him cast it that fast, he realized his practice had been pointless. Mildly frustrated, Alf motioned to switch back to Global, just in case he needed to say something fast.