.hack//frägment General

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by Username, Jun 5, 2014.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 5 users.
  1. Username

Username Active Member Senior Member

Local Time:
    8:05 AM
    That classic chap Coldbird has finally got .hack//frägment`s servers working and it only took him 7 years!

How do I play?
    I`ll give a quick overview of getting connected over Wifi (I have no experience with using Ethernet to play the game) but if you get stumped check out the guides at coldbird.net:
    Download Coldbird`s client and PCSX2. These are both configured to get you set up as fast as possible.
    Download the Network Adapter Start-Up Disc from whichever website takes your fancy.
    Download and install Winpcap and Visual C++ 2013 Redistributables (google is your friend).
    Open Coldbird`s PCSX2 and run the program.
    Set up the plugins how you like. Open the configuration for the dev9 plugin, check the Ethernet box and choose bridge:Microsoft from the drop-down menu.
    Run the Network Adapter Start-Up Disc in PCSX2 and create a network configuration that matches your home network configuration. Save it to your memory card.
    Open coldbird`s .hack//fragment client in PCSX2 and load up Online mode. Choose a network config and if you get no error messages then your set.

X and O are swapped!
    It`s a Japanese game.

The stats are all in Japanese!
    Yep, character creation is a ballache if you try and do it in Online mode. They`re translated in Offline mode. In order the stats are:
    Phys. Attack
    Phys. Defense
    Phys. Accuracy
    Phys. Evasion
    Mag. Attack
    Mag. Defense
    Mag. Accuracy
    Mag. Evasion

I`m stuck in an empty Lobby!
    Keep hitting circle until you get to the screen that looks like a chat box, then hit triangle and keep hitting circle until you`re in the Area Server list.

How do I chat?
    There`s no keyboard support yet afaik. There`s a plugin called Nuvee that`s supposed to add USB support but nobody can seem to get it to work.
    In the meantime you can press Select to open a chat box in which you can type 16 full-width or 32 half-width characters. The Kanji at the bottom middle of the chat box changes the width and case of everything highlighted in grey, and the Kanji at the right is the Enter key.
    Also if you press Square you have three columns of Quick Chat which you can send with Circle or edit with Triangle. When editing you have two boxes you`ll have to type in. The first is what will be sent when you choose that chat command. The second changes what it says in your quick chat menu so you can tell what you`re about to send.
    PROTIP: The yellow messages in Quick Chat C are what your character will automatically say when they first enter a dungeon and when they have selected the doorway to the next room respectively.

My game crashed and I lost all of my items!
    Yeah it`s awful. If it crashes you lose everything your character had except for EXP and it`s all reset back to basic equipment/inventory/wallet.
    Preventing this is a case of opening the folder for Coldbird`s PCSX2, going into the memcards folder and making a backup of your memory card before every session. That way if you lose your items you can restore back to the backup you made.
    The game saves to the memory card whenever you log out of The World. You can save while in-game by pressing start and choosing the last option, then OK.

I have another question!
    Ask it at the Coldbird.net forum, not here.

Happy .hacking!
    --ECKO
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2014
    Brijesha and Mattimao1239 like this.
  2. Saki Saku

Saki Saku Active Member Senior Member

Local Time:
    12:05 AM
    Where did you find this?
  3. Username

Local Time:
    I took the screenshot. ECKO is my character.

http://coldbird.net The guy finally got Frägment running after 7 years.
  4. Bison

Bison Active Member Senior Member

Local Time:
    5:05 AM
    who's that chunky red bloke looking so positively radiant there? ;)
    Brijesha and Mattimao1239 like this.
  5. Username

Local Time:
    I DONT KNOW MATE I JUST D
  6. Bison

Local Time:
    [​IMG]

cool some custom area words
    Username likes this.
  7. Apeiron

Apeiron Well-Known Member Senior Member

Local Time:
    3:05 AM
    I was actually one of the few people to still have the old offline translation patch coldbird put up years ago but it seems I can't really brag about that seeing as he started on the project again ;P

Never did like Frägment much though. The character creation is barebones at best, servers can only hold a maximum of three players, the whole damn thing is in japanese. Etc.

That said, I modded my ps2 specifically to play this over the weekend ;D

(also. Dude. That is a huge GoT spoiler. Like, I read the books so I'm fine, but consider a spoiler tag plz? ;P)
    SaguraKirux likes this.
  8. Saki Saku

Local Time:
    Gayyy, gotta wait til next friday cause all i got is onboard gpu atm :/
    SaguraKirux likes this.
  9. 1UP

1UP Well-Known Member Senior Member

Local Time:
    Well I'll be hosting servers for a while once I get stuff setup if people are interested.
  10. Saki Saku

Local Time:
    Just lemme know, i'll play
  11. Username

Local Time:
    Coldbird has said that he and his team plan on adding more content to the game once he's finished getting what's already there working properly so I expect more character models and stuff eventually.

Also, Frägment General?

Frägment General
    Laurayne likes this.
  12. Darkender

Darkender Active Member

Local Time:
    how to connect
  13. Cerberuspaw

Cerberuspaw Senior Member Senior Member Indiegogo Backer

Local Time:
    2:05 AM
    Questions related to this are best answered on the forums at coldbirds website
  14. Username

Local Time:
    Updated the OP with a basic FAQ but as Cerberuspaw said you should ask on Coldbird.net`s forum.
  15. 1UP

1UP Well-Known Member Senior Member

Local Time:
    Bit of a bump but I did manage to get a server up. Didn't realize it couldn't be on the same machine that of what you were playing on but I got that solved with a vm. So I will be possibly be setting up more in the future.
  16. Username

Local Time:
    I can`t figure out why everyone hasn`t gone completely bananas over this.
    This is literally what we`ve all wanted for the past 7 years.

(Also we could do with more players online cause I keep running into the same two people whenever I`m playing. :/)
  17. Xarandele

Xarandele Well-Known Member Senior Member

Local Time:
    The game is severely bugged in many ways still so it won't get as much attention as you would think it would, it's also not got much of a following so it's rather boring to play. Not to mention how the servers work in this game also alienates the people playing it even further. When I play online games I do it to play with other people in large groups, not myself and maybe two others at a time.

That said, I find it severely strange that there aren't high level people on it as soon as they join, it takes literally two days to hit level 50 if you do things correctly.
  18. Username

Local Time:
    Coldbird isn`t letting people hack the area server level count so basically nobody can get significantly past level 20 without spending 50 years grinding in offline mode.
  19. Bison

Local Time:
    Plus he has banned all the charismatic laddies such as myself who is a top guy and a great bunch of lads (not my words, the words of Kev 'Cookie' Wheelie)
  20. snakebyte12

snakebyte12 Senior Member Senior Member

Local Time:
    I have a question, i have all the necessary equipment, however i cannot figure out exactly how to set it up for use on my ps2 and would like to know how to get everything set up properly, if you could help, thank you