Guild Towns

Discussion in 'Mechanics and Design' started by axlsjolund, Jul 20, 2012.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 1 user.
  1. axlsjolund

axlsjolund Creative Director Senior Member

Local Time:
    12:27 AM
    Guild Towns
    User-created towns built by guilds that have earned the right, and can afford the cost.

Concept -
    When a guild has enough members (20+), and has enough in their "treasury" to afford the cost, they will be allowed to build their own custom town. These towns wil be built piece by piece, by the guild users.

User towns will be able to be constructed in any field they want. However, they will not be allowed to construct these towns in storyline fields, or root towns. As a result of being built in fields, they will be susceptible to monster attacks, just as a player would.

To begin, a guild would first need to get a permit in-game to build a single town. In order for them to receive the permit, they need to meet the qualifications set by the game. Admins will be able to give away special permits to those they deem worthy, that otherwise wouldn't qualify. However, this method must be monitored to prevent abuse.

After retrieving the permit, the guild will have access to a special "contractor" NPC where they may browse available town pieces for sale, and place their orders. The items include individual houses, multi-story buildings, street lights, material for roads, protection items, etc. Everything a user would need to create a small town just for their guild.Each item will have a "Delivery time". This delivery time is how long they will have to wait (in real-time) before the item will be delivered to their guilds inventory. Delivery time on items will vary depending on the size and cost of the items.

Once retrieving an item/items, the guild may take them to the field of their choosing. Once in a field, they will need to find an area and clear out all monsters within a certain distance to begin construction. They will need to activate their permit, which will create a sign with their town name, as well as allow them to start placing buildings within a highlighted area. Area will be determined similar to Command & Conquer. Sign will give you a good starting area, but to have more area to build on, you need certain buildings that will expand your reach. To prevent takeover of an entire field, each town will have a limit to how many of certain buildings they can have. Or a building limit total.

Once a user has their town "created", they may make it their spawn point as long as they have at least 1 house in the town they can use to set the spawn. That way they have an easy way to get back to things they need. Any member of the guild can make their spawn in the town, but once the "spawn point" has been deleted, or destroyed, spawn will revert back to Mac Anu.

Keeping the Town
    Since the towns will be located in fields with monsters, they will be susceptible to the same attacks. Each building or item will have it's own set amount of HP. As monsters attack, this HP will go down until the building is destroyed. Buildings that are not fully destroyed may be repaired with money, but once destroyed a user will have to repurchase the building.

Since users cannot be online all the time to watch their times, they will be able to purchase certain items to help protect the area. Elemental Flags may be purchased and hung in town. These flags will make all buildings in the town immune to certain types of damage. There will be a limit to the amount of flags allowed in a town, so no town will be immune to all forms of attack. They will also be able to purchase anti-monster torches to place in and around their town. This will allow them to prevent monster from spawning within the town limits, and from spawning for a distance outside the town.

Other guilds may attack and destroy the towns, but only after they have made an official declaration of war with the guild they intend to attack. If the two guilds are not at war, then players cannot damage any town structure.

Trade
    Once a user town has a town center, they may begin purchasing licenses from a root towns to start their own town businesses. This includes licenses for trading with other players, creating items, creating armor, creating other items that users need in their day to day operations.

Not only will this limit the supply of certain items, but also help users find other means of gaining income that doesn't fighting. And it allows the in-game economy to be, for the most part, controlled by the fan base.

Looting
    User amy purchase chests and vaults to store their items and guild stockpiles in their towns. These items cannot be taken by anyone other than the owners, or in the case of guid vaults, other guild members.

However, if a building containing chests or vaults is destroyed, then the storage areas themselves become susceptible to looting by any player who may happen upon it. The same goes for in-town shops. If the shops stand or building is destroyed, all items in the shop become lootable. While this may be costly to any guild, as long as a guilds defenses are properly maintained, there will be no issue.

Defending the Town
    While some basic defenses for a town may be purchased, all in all it will be up to the guild to protect and maintain the town.

Some of the purchasable defenses will include basic walls, towers, and variety of small arms yet to be determined.

As an alternative, guilds will be able to hire mercenaries to protect their town. They may approach the mercenaries face to face, or find them through a mercenaries listing service that players will put themselves on if that is the career they choose.
  2. Keramory
    • Staff / Administrator

Keramory The World Director Staff Member Indiegogo Backer

Local Time:
    Before you post I just wanted to make sure you knew that there are already Guild Rooms and Guild Fields. Not knocking out the idea of more guild stuff or replacement guild stuff, just making sure you know ^.^ Cant wait to see your idea.
  3. axlsjolund

Local Time:
    I know what we have thus far. but this was a separate idea I brainstormed with Sieg that'll make our game a HUGE hit, and unique above all other MMO's. It doesn't tie in with the other 2 systems.
  4. Aryth
    • Staff / Administrator

Aryth Developer Staff Member Indiegogo Backer

Local Time:
    11:27 PM
    I like the sound of it. Plus, me, Sieg, and Andrew are just about finished with Guild Progression, so these concepts will all come together nicely.
  5. Akira

Akira Well-Known Member Senior Member

Local Time:
    Again let me know if you want me to do some of the level design as far as laying them out. I have to do it anyway for the level design class.
  6. axlsjolund

Local Time:
    Won't be necessary. Most we'll need is asset design. Individual models and the like.
  7. axlsjolund

Local Time:
    Rofl. Forgot to mention I did this last night. Ha. Didn't even think that edit wouldn't show as new.
  8. Keramory
    • Staff / Administrator

Local Time:
    This would be a good alternitive to @homes (we shouldnt have both other then the ones we already made).

My only concern/crit is the idea of using fields already in the game. For two reasons
    1. It screws with non guild members and hardcore adventurers. Although rarely one item will drop from just one dungeon/field...but that still takes away say a members favorite field for w.e reason or their hangout spot. That or they just prefer to hunt on that field for leveling or that item.
    2. Tieing into 1, guilds come and go in games like crazy, even hardcore dedicated ones. Thats alot of fields being edited just to I guess poof back to normal so quickly. It'll just ensure chaos.

Instead what I'd suggest, is a seperate strand of keywords (still mix and match like regular keywords) dedicated to only Guild Towns. That way enemy guilds still have to search for guilds the way they normally would, and theres plenty of room for guilds to go. If it ever gets to the point where we need more keywords, we can just plug them in.

I like the rest, I just am cautious about freely editing levels/dungeons, even if they are uninportant.
  9. axlsjolund

Local Time:
    Well think of these points towards your concerns.

Guilds come and go, but no town is invulnerable. If a guild goes away, natural monsters, as well as other guilds, will eventually destroy the town no matter what. There is no 100% protection using items. So long gone guilds won't have shit lying around forever.

It can maybe screw with non-guild members. Sorta. Town will not take up entire map no matter what. And no town may be build in dungeon or near dungeon entrance. That keeps that free for all. No reason to think that towns there will be only where gui;ds hang out.

Also, keep in mind, these towns will be RETARDEDLY expensive. Per piece. Like... they will drain their collective fortune for 2, maybe 3 buildings. This keeps the amount of guild towns severely limited. Only the best of the best will be able to afford it, and maintain it. At which point they've earned the right to try. And it always gives members something to work towards.

Besides, having towns with trade in normal fields allows player who frequent to not have to return to town to restock on items and the like, which I know I would appreciate. I hate having to travel back and forth for a few potions.
  10. Akira

Akira Well-Known Member Senior Member

Local Time:
    I'd be kind of annoyed if there's like 30 guilds taking up a fair amount of lower end fields. Think about how many possibilities are there for a three word system? sure there's a lot, but its certainly not infinite. Just my two cents.
  11. Keramory
    • Staff / Administrator

Local Time:
    Well it is true if we do make it extremely expensive and a pain for upkeep it would vastly limit the amount of Guild Towns bought.
    However that then begs the question if its worth investing our time and effort (programming and 3d models) to making such a thing for such limited people.
    As for begining levels Akira we can always make it so you can only start doing this once you're in Theta/Lambda
  12. axlsjolund

Local Time:
    Well the programming aspect is just creating a sandbox type of mode. But the assets involved are easy. We're breaking up the buildings anyway, so we can use the same models, and I'll just make a few texture variations/colors for the guild specific ones. They will only have basics like market, houses, town hall, lights, maybe a fountain, trade carts, etc. Most of the major root town type stuff will be NPC town exclusive.

So all in all, it won't really add much to the overall work load, as we'll be recycling assets.
  13. Keramory
    • Staff / Administrator

Local Time:
    Then it sounds great :p
    If the existing fields thing becomes a problem then worse comes to worse we can always move it like I posted.
  14. darthzeta88

darthzeta88 New Member

Local Time:
    I know this is an old post but through my history and experiance do not plan a balance based on costs alone, players are crafty people and will learn how to break it even if costs is to how. For example Eve Online was only suppose to have about 5 titan ships max and where balanced by cost and hard restrictions on building them only in certain areas with certain conditions. Literally to this day their are hundreds and hundreds of them.