Guild Ranking Concepts

Discussion in 'Mechanics and Design' started by Vayu, Jul 12, 2012.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 1 user.
  1. Vayu

Vayu Active Member Senior Member

Local Time:
    5:45 AM
    Andrew Hosseinpour
    Guild Ranking System concepts

Any of the following applies to ranks in relation to how the Guildmaster regulates ranks.

Guild ranks should be a form of expression for players in a guild. Players can generally relate more to the guild if the ranks have relevant meaning to the name/purpose/foundation of a guild. Guildmasters will essentially have the power to create different ranks or titles for guild members and regulate the permissions/benefits given to each rank. Guilds can be straight-forward and have a simple heirarchy of power that goes down a straight chain of command or they can have many ranks that don't really translate to a spot of power but just classify a member, for example a "merchant" rank. With guild ranks the guildmaster assumes all responsibility of assigning names to ranks and assigning players to ranks within the guild, however, if necessary the guildmaster has the power to allow a certain rank, usually the second in command, to have access to assigning players to ranks whether it be a demotion or promotion, however, ONLY the guildmaster can create ranks, delete ranks, assign names to ranks, and assign permissions to ranks.

Ranks should relate to the person's relevance/importance to the guild but also to their role in the guild. Guildmasters need to dictate and decide which ranks recieve what permissions. Clear examples would be that a guildmaster will have assistant guildmasters but won't grant them access to funds in the guild, however, the guildmaster creates a seperate rank that specifically handles finances and guild funds like for example a "treasurer". (again just an example as a means to grasp the concept.)

Guildmasters need to have a method of control for ranks
    -most plausible/convenient method being a Guildmaster control panel

Sections of the panel would include:

-Ranks: Assigning names to ranks, permissions to ranks, and order of ranks from high to low and vice versa.

-Logs of Activity: Guildmasters should have the ability to monitor the activity of members that could have possible effects/impacts on the guild. ex: looted money, guild shop sales, logs of administrative activity (demotions, promotions, etc), and more options could be available (up for suggestion).

-Guild Info: Essentially a biography of the guild that will be publicly broadcasted. My main idea being that there will be a tab that players can access in-game that will gives a list of their information and ranks (I will speak more about this when i give my concepts of Guild Competition in a later post).

(these are all examples and i'm open to more suggestions.)

Attached Files:

2. Aryth

Aryth Developer Senior Member Indiegogo Backer

Local Time:
    4:45 AM
    I think that we should address the different types of hierarchies:

1. Vertical: In vertical types there is a direct chain of command, and no one can occupy the same tier except for "Member". I don't typically see guilds like this, but hey, it's possible.

2. Horizontal: Everyone above "Member "and below "Leader" are on the same tier (or really, they aren't ranks, but titles). This is especially useful for trading or gathering guilds.

3. Combination: This is what we typically see. It allows for many ranks (and many on the same level), and serves just about all purposes.

Basic Assumptions

1. The guild "Leader" should be able to create a ranking system that works for him/her (even if it is doomed to failure).

2. They should have a way to promote and demote.

3. They should have a way to give certain ranks abilities and access privileges (often known as "verbs").

(This is my opinion) 4. I think it would be awesome if there were a way to put observable requirements to be promoted to certain ranks, and that if those requirements are met you could be automatically promoted up to a certain point. (I just think this would be awesome).

If it turns out that the best way to do this is a Panel, then I'm all for that. I'm just making sure we're thinking about the same thing.
  3. Vayu

Local Time:
    The observable requirements should be left up for the guildmaster to set. The guildmaster should honestly have the absolute authority over the guild when it comes down to it. Yeah it creates the biggest window of opportunity to abuse such authority, however, it makes it so that the guild can't be crippled if say members of a council decided to split. A Guildmaster Control Panel is probably the best way to ensure a successful guild because then it allows a guildmaster to make the guild as strict or loose as they see fit, which will overall allow for a common interpretation of the guild in the eyes of others and in the eyes of members. The heirarchy should be however the guildmaster sees fit to create it. The guildmaster should be able to have multiple "officers" or multiple ranks. It shouldn't be horizontal, vertical, or any kind of set structure, it should be left to the guildmaster to create. Your thoughts on that Aryth?
  4. Vayu

Local Time:
    i'm going to correct myself a bit on that last post: the guildmaster should be allowed to make it horizontal, vertical, combination, or any structure they want. The guild is the guildmaster's play-dough. The guildmaster should be able to mold it in a way that they see fit.
  5. Aryth

Local Time:
    Well, actually, whatever hierarchy they create it WILL be one of those three. It's not really a choice. Those are the only options, haha.

To expand on what I meant by number 4, it would be part of the control panel.

They will be shown a list of drop down menus to select an observable requirement for promotion:

Type: Select Type of Requirement (Kill Enemies, PvP, Sell/Collect Items, Dungeon Runs, etc)

Constraints: Set further constraint on type of requirement (Ex. Clear 9 dungeons, Deposit 5 items (or gold), Kill 6 <Enemy>)

Approval: Set whether or not the promotion requires Approval (Which will be automatically forwarded).

It seems really convoluted, but it could allow the guild to run without leaders always being there. They can still manage the guild and all that, and the members will have immediate reward for their efforts up to a certain point.
  6. Vayu

Local Time:
    Not necessarily true.. You can make a really screwed up structure that makes no sense hahaha. Joking aside i think you and I need to have a one on one chat about this.
  7. Aryth

Local Time:
    Actually. All forms of hierarchy are based off of one of those three, and can be immediately rearranged as one of those three without loss of structure (The only exceptions are directed hierarchies, which can't exist in guilds). Trust me, I study trees (graphs) and topology. XD

And yeah, I'll be away from my computer for awhile but I'll message you some info so we can discuss this further.
  8. Vayu

Local Time:
    Awesome I look forward to it
  9. Siegfre
    • Staff / Administrator

Siegfre [IridiumBased] President Staff Member

Local Time:
    2:45 AM
    Some very good ideas we can begin implementing. Specifically the control panel, and the requirements for promotion, gonna be posting some more general ideas in another thread.
  10. Vayu

Local Time:
    Aryth and I will speak further and we'll let you know what we agree upon later
  11. Keramory

Keramory Guest

Local Time:
    I'm a fan of the simple mechanics

Guild Leader - top and only one who can break/delete the guild. Can promote members to Officers. Can demote.
    Officers- Can recruit people into the guild
    Members- Just regular members of the guild.

Its up to the mentality of the guild leader and members on how they run the guild...not mechanics. If the leader and its members want a dictatorship, its a dictatorship. If its one where everyone has a say...then its where everyone has a say.

Anything more then that is...eh...drama. Like the kill requirements for example. I dont give a flying fudge how many people a guild mate kills if hes a turd. I dont want him recruiting people lol.
  12. Akira

Akira Well-Known Member Senior Member

Local Time:
    In almost all mmos i have played the 'officers' are no more than mods. Lets add an option for more things that the guild leader can do for them. As to what, I have no clue.
  13. Aryth

Local Time:
    Well, that's fine, but adding some mechanics may make the experience more fulfilling. Of course, everything should be optional (if they don't want to set up the ranking thing, rank titles, or anything else, they don't have to). We just want to establish options for those guilds that want a more autonomous and interactive experience.

Oh, and by Kill... It was monsters, not people, and it was just an example. Those who want the absolute simple experience should have it, but that shouldn't be all there is, in my opinion.
  14. Siegfre
    • Staff / Administrator

Siegfre [IridiumBased] President Staff Member

Local Time:
    Right, mechanics should always give the players/guild master more freedom. Whether or not they use the freedom is up to them. We can display the simplest options and then have an advanced menu for more detailed options.
  15. Vayu

Local Time:
    The options should always be allowed for the guild master because that intricacy will set our game apart from many others. Now whether or not that guildmaster wants to use those advance options or settings in the guild, that's up to them.
  16. Aryth

Local Time:
    Added First Draft of Guild Progression Concepts to OP, which is a collaboration by Andrew and I. The ideas don't vary too greatly from Andrew's initial ideas, they are just described in greater detail.

Issues that have been brought up:

- No benefits for Tier 0.
    - No compensation to progress through Tiers for smaller guilds.
    - Room for exploitation via Alts needs to be minimized.

Things to do:

- Finish Tier Hierarchy (Only an example is present in the draft, needs to be completed).
    - Create a Rank Progression Chart.
    - Fix limitations imposed on smaller guilds.
    - Determine what costs are necessary to hold or create a guild, if any.
    - Determine a fixed list of possible benefits for both methods of progression.

This post will change when necessary.