Escalus' Art

Discussion in 'Art Gallery' started by Escalus, Aug 19, 2012.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 3 users.
  1. Cerberuspaw

Cerberuspaw Senior Member Senior Member Indiegogo Backer

Local Time:
    11:29 PM
  2. Krescent

Krescent Well-Known Member Senior Member

Local Time:
    12:29 AM
    Ahh man that made me LOL so hard! xD
  3. kotakoni

kotakoni Active Member

Local Time:
    1:29 PM
    You are good at drawing but I recommend using more colors in your art and not having so much blank space. Not to be rude but too much blank space can make your work look tacky.
  4. DAF

DAF DAF-inator Senior Member

Local Time:
    9:29 PM
    I disagree. I think it simplifies the drawing and makes for a stronger silhouette. If this was going to be in a museum, sure, maybe a bit more should be in to beef up the structure of the illustration, though this isn't particularly a purposeful drawing meant to invoke deep thought. I don't think this picture is something more than showing off the character. So the lack of a background only adds to the the character's benefit and helps her stand out. A background would have no point for this peculator drawing in my opinion. I'm glad there isn't one.

But I'm curious, what kind of back ground you see her putting in. Or what kind of background do you see?
  5. Escalus

Escalus Active Member Senior Member

Local Time:
    Note to self: Do not put so much emphasis on female gluteus maximas

The blank space is purposeful. She is an Assassin *no pun intended*, if I were to place her in any setting (even in such a pose) that would throw the focus on her off significantly (And her butt), now if you were to recreate this with a background (With no changes to her pose whatsoever) than what I intended for the work to be, then you are more than welcome to try.
  6. Taltiana

Taltiana Well-Known Member Senior Member Backer

Local Time:
    Dang I'm sooooo jelly :(
  7. ragexbeat

ragexbeat Well-Known Member Senior Member

Local Time:
    I fixed that for you. :p
    Cerberuspaw and Krescent like this.
  8. kotakoni

kotakoni Active Member

Local Time:
    well i can't really say because i'm not the artist, though there were a number of things that could have been added without taking the focus off of her. there's a ton of art on pixiv that do that.
  9. DAF

Local Time:
    An opinion is just an opinion, I just want to know what you'd do. I don't really see people as "artists" or "not an artists," there's a lost of things to consider when labeling people, and I just don't like it. It'd rather encourage people to use their imagination pro-actively.
  10. kotakoni

kotakoni Active Member

Local Time:
    It didn't have to be a complex background. Just something simple to get rid of a bit of the blank space. I understand she's supposed to be an assassin and supposed to be in the dark, but Escalus could have also done something as if she were hiding in an area where she had to be in that position, and a small crack of light on her face. That would have accentuated the fact that she was hiding perfectly. I'm not very good at explaining scenes so I'm not sure if you get the image in your head or not.
  11. DAF

Local Time:
    No, I get it, and regardless of Escalus, I wanted to know what you would have done.
  12. Escalus

Escalus Active Member Senior Member

Local Time:
    Been years since I've actually been to this place, glad to see things still up and running. :3
    ART UPDATES!

An OC of mine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Character Designs for a game that never got off the ground, and thus, a waste.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Mattimao1239, azuretre and Keyastor like this.
  13. Keyastor

Keyastor Active Member Senior Member

Local Time:
    Wow is all I have to say. My favorite out of the set you've posted has to be the beast man above. Very awesome looking.
  14. Shadowtim3

Shadowtim3 New Member

Local Time:
    I'm totally jealous of the artistic ability. My own artwork sucks in comparison.
  15. Mattimao1239

Mattimao1239 Chicken Chaser Senior Member

Local Time:
    Practice make permanent, perfect practice makes perfect.

Practice as much as possible but be strict to yourself, don't make yourself depressed with your criticism of course.