Digital Art

Discussion in 'Art Gallery' started by Lunex, Apr 20, 2018.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 1 user.
  1. Lunex

Lunex Bloody Lunatic... Senior Member Indiegogo Backer

Local Time:
    1:57 AM
    Something I managed to put together using the computer. If I come with more, I may add.

Thoughts?

Attached Files:

• flag.jpg
      flag.jpg
      File size:
      173.2 KB
      Views:
  2. calmchaos

calmchaos Moderator Staff Member Senior Member

Local Time:
    12:57 AM
    Because of chromostereopsis (the visual effect that allows red+blue 3D glasses to work) you shouldn't put a flat blue on a flat red. The colors need to be textured, have a border, or utilize some other effect, or it becomes painful to look at. At least it does for any of the people that can experience chromostereopsis; not everyone can.

Some resources on chromostereopsis:
    • A short paragraph explaining it.
      h ttp : //the visualcommunica tionguy. co m/2015/10/16/design-principle-chromostereopsis-or-why-blue-on-red-doesnt-work/

• The full wiki article in case you'd like to check it out in depth.
      ht tp s://e n.wikip edia.o rg/wiki/Chromostereopsis

• If you'd actually useful tips instead of the first link's "don't do it" or the wiki's info dump, this link is a really good resource. It additionally gives some nice UX design information towards the end of the article if you're at all interested.
      htt p://lum inanze.c om/writings/chromostereopsis_in_ux_design.html

But I do like the design itself quite a bit. It seems to be a contradiction in itself since in our reality wolves are commonly known to howl at the moon. A wolf howling at the sun indicates a mad wolf, a mad world, or both. The blue sun gives credence to the second and possibly third.

Red has too many meanings to truly be sure of its intention, but the most immediate notions that come to mind are bravery, loyalty, bloodshed, and danger. I'm erring on the side of bloodshed or danger since it's the background color that was chosen to be red whereas normally it'd be a red emblem if the intent was for one of the first two. Definitely could be wrong though since red is almost universally used.

I dunno the exact meaning you're trying to get across with the flag, but I do like it aside from the chromo problem.
  3. Lunex

Local Time:
    Actually I was considering it was a bit harsh on the eyes myself. Even though this was made in Adobe, I could probably play around with Sumo a bit to try and find how to make it a tad more bearable.

Actually it's all very literal, although after some consideration, I'm leaning towards making the sun not blue.

I should also mention that the ground beneath the wolf is gold because it was part of the same image that I altered, though if I had more time, I would have left it black.
  4. Lunex

Local Time:
    Well after a few months, finally produced some more illustrator art. But this time, there was no recoloring, I made each piece of this.

Thanks to: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hePkqKZ5HW4 (can't hyperlink I think) for showing me how to do this, even though I diverged in certain parts. Namely, when she erases the leftover parts, I took the bigger pieces and fused them together instead of expanding the smaller ones.

Hopefully this is less painful to the eyes.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 26, 2018
    calmchaos likes this.
  5. Lunex

Local Time:
    So this is a bit similar to the last thing I did, however this time I stuck with the YT tutorials design of a flower. I didn't have as many layers and I didn't insert a pistil because I was going for the dual color design.

The other easy part of this was making the circles and background. Hopefully they're aligned properly, I had to move stuff around frequently to makes this work, most annoyingly the background since it was from the rectangle tool and using the shape builder with it as my background would create white spots.

The most difficult bit of this was making symbols between the two circles because my computer drawing hand is shakier than my actual hand and I had to do it all in one, or the pencil would take the new lines and erase the old ones. If I didn't shrink them so much, you could probably see the parallel lines I made because I couldn't trace my lines.

I tried to make a light particle effect with the paint brush, seeing as I didn't know if there was a better method. It's not bad, but I do think it could be better, maybe if they weren't all dots and some were bigger.

And in the future, I want to fill up the empty space in the circles, just wasn't sure with what yet at the time of doing this.

BTW, didn't get any comments on the last one, so I just wanna say, let me know if I'm doing things right or wrong so I can improve upon this.

Attached Files:

• da3.jpg
      da3.jpg
      File size:
      59.8 KB
      Views:
  6. calmchaos

calmchaos Moderator Staff Member Senior Member

Local Time:
    12:57 AM
    It looks good. The only thing I would recommend is that when you're dealing with stars, they shouldn't be so evenly spaced and covering the entire background so completely. Stars generally form clusters, and those clusters create dead zones in the surrounding areas. So to make it look more like the natural night sky, you can't have them separated evenly like that. It's not that it looks bad or anything, it just doesn't look as natural and pleasing. This is commonly overlooked when making star backdrops.

Additionally, they shouldn't all the be the same size. You can manipulate their sizes to help create motion and chose how a viewer is going to look at the image. It doesn't matter so much here because the focal point is the flower itself, but if you ever make something with either multiple or non-descript focal points, you can use the size of background objects to help guide the viewer. The size difference doesn't have to be major since that could and probably would detract from the flower

I like the way it looks, but I'm interested on what you'll end up filling the circles with.

EDIT: Oh. I just read that the dots were made as a brush effect. Yeah, there are options to make the size and clumping vary, you'd just have to play around with it to find a setting you like.