Conceptulize the Rune Gunner Class

Discussion in 'Classes' started by Bambi, Dec 25, 2014.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 2 users.
  1. Bambi

Bambi Well-Known Member Senior Member Indiegogo Backer

Local Time:
    3:35 AM
    Although a supportive role, I'm really excited for the rune gunner class! I'm seeking inspirational images or suggestions to draw up illustrations for this class. Presently I've gathered references from Outlaw Star and screenshots of spaghetti westerns specifically with Clint Eastwood and even though sufficient, I'm looking for further input on the spell slingler concept. Any other suggestions or ideas are welcome. Thank you!
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2014
  2. Aryth

Aryth Developer Senior Member Indiegogo Backer

Local Time:
    2:35 AM
    First off, YES! We need more stuff around the Runecaster. It's going to be a difficult class to implement, but it'll be a lot of fun. The Runecaster serves as a dual purpose class. It's a ranged/magic class all in one.

Here's a good example of a type of gun: Magic Bullet Rail Gun. It encapsulates, a little bit, the diversity that can exist for this class. There could traditional guns, futuristic guns, fantasy guns, things that don't look like guns but are guns, etc.

@Keramory suggested looking at the Corsair from Final Fantasy XI as a good concept for a brand of Runecaster. The Corsair is not the TYPE of class we want, but the basics of the class are the same. Another good example would be from Phantasy Star Online, the Ranger.

This post has some of the ammo you can get listed to give you an idea of what that is like. The bullets are actually magic that is materialized or stored in capsules (ish).

That's all I could get for now. If I find anything else I'll add it on here.

I bet it'll look great. :p
  3. MoogleMorphosis

MoogleMorphosis Well-Known Member Senior Member

Local Time:
    12:35 AM
    This suddenly makes me wonder, if there can be fleeing skills, for each of the classes, if smoke bombs aren`t available to all.
  4. Aryth

Local Time:
    That's not really related to the rune gunner class, specifically... So I'm not sure why you posted this here. Smoke Bombs would be more of the Thief's territory, don't you think?
  5. MoogleMorphosis

Local Time:
    It may 'not' be specifically the rune gunner's skill, though, considering that both smoke bombs and bullet/rounds are casings, and (often) a mixture of catalysts, its seems fitting for it to be included for them as well. It seems that while a magician's role is to distract, as opposed, I feel that a thief's role is to go unnoticed, or uncaught. I think that every class may have the desire, time and time again, for strategic retreat.

(off-topic) I sort of recall that for some tanks, they could be grenadiers, whom may toss potions (not specifically healing potions, but more like concoctions) and various items. I think that this could give a broader expanse towards the jobs, like alchemy and gathering. Some monsters could be elementally susceptible towards strains of attack, from specific items, like an ax for wood, a pick for earth. Along the way, there could be figured some other tools for other elements, I`m sure. The products of alchemy seem best in the thought, that it can provide not only the necessary tools for survival, but a principal of toss-ables. I hope this may also take us to consider air-borne creatures which may take to higher than shallow airs.
  6. Cerberuspaw

Cerberuspaw Senior Member Senior Member Indiegogo Backer

Local Time:
    Reminds me of FF Tactics as the Gunner classes mainly the chemist were the only able ones to throw items, along with the actual gunner classes being low damage and extremely debuff heavy but having good accuracy and range
    MoogleMorphosis likes this.
  7. Aryth

Local Time:
    Smoke bombs are bombs. Bullets are bullets. They are not, nor have they ever been, the same. The combustion for the bullet is in the GUN, the combustion for the smoke bomb is in the BOMB itself. These are totally different methods. To give the runegunner both of these would be a little ridiculous, unless the smoke bomb is an item you can just buy at the shop and anyone can have, then yes, even the runegunner can have one.

The thief's goal IS to be unnoticed and uncaught, but, on the off chance they DO get caught, they should have the means to escape, right? The smoke bomb is a time-tested and approved method to escape without the enemy knowing exactly where you went. It is one of the quintessential objects of strategic retreat, in that they are still used today. The thief is especially vulnerable since they begin with a very low ability to damage anything. The other classes can defend themselves and run if need be with bullets or magic.

As for the magician, their roles are based on class. There are debuffers, they are the distraction experts, the healers, who solely focus on support and the occasional damage, and the damagers, who have the goal of taking the enemy down. These are all different types of magicians and so their goal is not universally to distract anything.
  8. MoogleMorphosis

Local Time:
    For the first paragraph, combustion happens within the gun, yes, but it goes into the powder, or whatever it is, that the combustion, the "pop", is carried into the round to send it home. Smoke bombs are similar, as flint in a gun is the catalyst, so may be the impact of the toss, as some places I`ve seen on the web. For a single class to use it, it may be absurd, but giving it as a job opportunity, for all classes, balances it out, right?

For the second, to put it simply, everyone has an attitude and aptitude on various levels in how they play. One example, I can be a strong mage in skyrim, but either way, with low health, I am more "hit-n-run" with it. Should everyone's roles act as a quiz to fit one their placements, as some people may not entertain the idea of giving an idea to change classes, instead of altogether losing interest? I think it is easier for everyone, if all have that chance to flee the sometimes imminent tides of battle. Also, I hadn`t heard of what magic there is, or would be implied, to grant those options.

I haven`t heard the implication of a skill tree that allowed the versatility of so many options of play, here. I`m sorry, to stand out like a thorn, and to allow this to have gone a tad bit longer off topic, though I`m sure there is something to gain from a bit of debate.
  9. Hazao

Hazao Member

Local Time:
    well i know this game is not SAO based could it use the weapons on there... the second season has alot of great guns and (no offence to people who are strictly .hack based) i love the sniper in there... also there should be a cloaking or hiding technique for it if it does happen