Character Stances

Discussion in 'Character Creator' started by Asani, Mar 19, 2014.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 2 users.
  1. Asani

Asani Well-Known Member Indiegogo Backer

Local Time:
    5:14 PM
    I know this would be something way down the line-- but perhaps an option during character creation for personality such as laid back, professional, stern, guarded, formal?

These choices could effect the way the character stands with their weapon in towns. For instance, a laid back lancer could cross the shaft of their pole-arm over their shoulders lazily-- while someone guarded would hold their weapon in more of a 'present arms' manner. Maybe someone formal would use it like a walking stick?

Just a suggestion. The same could be done for other classes as well.
  2. Fujishawa

Fujishawa Well-Known Member Senior Member

Local Time:
    I think this is a good idea, even if its a long ways off. It adds more personality to your character, and makes you feel like you have just a bit more control over your character.
  3. Orion

Orion Senior Member Senior Member

Local Time:
    4:14 PM
    I will also agree with you on this one. Everyone seems to have some nice ideas going on lately.
  4. Extian

Extian Senior Member Senior Member

Local Time:
    I'm sure we could get some ridiculous looking stances out of this.
  5. NiuWang

NiuWang Well-Known Member Senior Member Backer

Local Time:
    2:14 PM
    Yeah a lazy stance for me.. Walkin wearily dragging around his sword in sheath looking all dejected and what not.
  6. karashe

karashe Well-Known Member Senior Member Indiegogo Backer

Local Time:
    4:14 PM
    That sounds more like a depressed person.
  7. NiuWang

Local Time:
    No.. its more lousy and a slacker who seems depressed but is just perplexed about why he does things in life and what the hell he/she got himself into.
    Crim likes this.
  8. PK.

PK. Well-Known Member Indiegogo Backer

Local Time:
    I personally think just having the ability to change your stances on a day to day basis would be more fun. I mean, let's say you start off with a "professional" character and then later decide you want them to be something else; well...you're professional.

Since the team already seems to be creating actions for the characters to perform I could picture there just being a guide to all the various choices you could make for your character to perform. Like, if you're having a rough day, they can slump if you hit a certain key-combination, if you're super excited you can get them to skip around with a different one.

Though I suppose you could argue with me that a demeanor is different than actions, and that if they want a different one they can make a new character...I'm just tossing more thoughts out.
  9. NiuWang

Local Time:
    You mention portraying your characters mood through various actions with Key Combination(s), I understand it's just a thought, but wouldn't that be a bit much? MMO controls are meant to be simple for maximum efficiency (which is why a lot are moving to Controller compatibility). At least thats how I feel about it, unless they decided to go Instance MMO/ Battle-Arena status with Left Click attack, Right click Block, Scroll for whatever, and L+R for a special and Click combos.(this would leave a lot more room for your free-hand to move about on the keyboard and perform the so called 'combinations')

Although in the case of using a controller to perform these functions through use of a macro, then that changes everything because then there would be the option of opening up submenu pallets with directional key control to choose the macro and a button to execute that command.

IMO
    The stances should be determined upon character creation, the reason I say this is because I can tell that once this game gets out, there's going to be plenty of individuals who will want to role play. With that, the chosen stance on the character creation screen (if they ever change from what they have now) would help them determine their character roles and personality. The stance you choose determines the way your character walks, their stance in battle, and idle stance (when stannding still and not moving...)

You basically suggested emoticons/social actions rather than stances Anyways, you get what I mean?
  10. Crim

Crim Guest

Local Time:
    The only problem I see in this is the team having to create so many more animations for different weapons, gender, race, and any other differences. So depending how much they want to go into it, it could be a development issue.

But it doesn't need to make launch, so maybe they will make a side note and something that might just get added when they find the time.
  11. Keramory

Keramory Guest

Local Time:
    It might be possible to do such if the idle animation does not mess with the movement or attack animations. These animations would be strictly aesthetic and not change stats though, at least until things are balanced as they are. I for one am for it as it would help customize the character. Again though, it'd have to be only if it changes the idle animation, so sieg will know.
    As mentioned before, our biggest difficulty with developing this game is a lack of animators, so this is a low priority. We need idle animations for one stance a class before we have 3 a class.

However as some know, and incase others dont, Lancer has the ability to change their combat stats with what kind of weapon they wield (staff, spear, scythe).
  12. Kagu

Kagu Active Member

Local Time:
    I think this is a good idea, as long as it's solely for customization only.
    It really, really should not affect stats. At all.
  13. NiuWang

Local Time:
    It's only to add variety in for the Role Players.
  14. Demendred

Demendred Member

Local Time:
    The reverse grip Zatoichi would look pretty good. If you wanted to add stat buff/de-buff, it could raise defense, but lower striking power.
    [​IMG]
    Mattimao1239 likes this.
  15. Azure

Azure Well-Known Member Senior Member

Local Time:
    This sounds pretty great. I hope they change the default female stance though...those legs...no one in the world has knees that bow that far inward...
  16. MoogleMorphosis

MoogleMorphosis Well-Known Member Senior Member

Local Time:
    3:14 PM
    What if, there were a set number, of specific animations for different scenarios, including passive ones(always there), from which we could all choose from, the different ways that make them seem more individual? Like, I could imagine like eight or so animation types for people to express how they`d want to react to some things. Like, fear, faltering hope, paralysis. Those sorts of things, as well as idle walking vs the emotion they feel from a number of things kept in mind, like a ratio of shake, dilated pupils, shrugging, and stance(width of leg space and bending parts), the weight of something. It seems like if there was more evident of having weight, alot of stuff, then thieves and other kind of players could anticipate characters, and their folks. :3

For emotes also, could there be toggled facial changes? It seems a little okay for people to give a face, to signal different messages, like "back off" or "help me".

PS- on the side, I`m still wondering if there could be libraries, places of other characters' thoughts on something in the game, other stuff. I think it'd be nice to have readable things, inside the games. It kinda makes a few people feel silly if they continue running, and having so few idle activities to roll through.

EDIT: I`m wondering, for both this topic, and another, if there were a number of slides; pictures, that are apart of the animations, in loop, then, by the limited number, wouldn`t it be better to put the number of slides, towards a setting of how much one may handle, measured like how much it fits into a second. So, I figure this would help people adjust to lagging out, by taking some number necessary to actually play.

For both topics, I was wondering, if the community have some effort towards creation of presets, for each number of animations you find necessary for each character to hold one of each, by manner of voting, and finding the ones that pass, to be apart of such presets. I would figure, both in the armor customization question topic, and in this, to have some part that we all could participate, in the small ways we can.
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2014
  17. KoukinSama

KoukinSama Active Member

Local Time:
    the ambient animations sound like a great idea. as for the library, games like minecraft have a way to make books with writing in them, so I would hope we could get at least a similar feature
  18. Thage

Thage Member

Local Time:
    I'm 100% for being able to choose your personality and have it expressed through cosmetic animations (standing, random idle animations, walking/running, maybe even slight variations to other non-combat emote animations).
    calmchaos likes this.