Budgetary/Financial Breakdown and Open Source

Discussion in 'The World Message Board' started by Daikonran, Oct 12, 2017.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 6 users.
  1. Daikonran

Daikonran Well-Known Member Senior Member

Local Time:
    10:48 PM
    Okay, as most people have realized, this project is pretty much dead. It would be nice if @Keramory , @Siegfre could please officially release a breakdown of how the donations were spent. Now I’m not suggesting that they were misappropriated in any way, but I do think everyone deserves to know exactly how the money was spent as well as how much of it remains, what that remainder (if any) will be spent on, and what the future plans are for the assets purchased are. This transparency is not only warranted but deserved by the community.

Also, as I’ve said in several threads, the source code should be available to the community (even if in a private donator only forum) as one of the pretenses under which donations were made was that the project would go open source upon completion. As it stands now, there seems to be no possible way this project will reach completion and thus it is only fair to release what has been so far to backers. This will also make it possible for those who wish to continue the project to contribute and work together to pick up where it was abruptly left off.

I’m skeptical this post will get any sort of reply, so please prove me wrong.
    NubSmoo, Azrial and AzureKite like this.
  2. AzureKite

AzureKite Well-Known Member Senior Member Indiegogo Backer

Local Time:
  3. AzureKite

Local Time:
  4. Daikonran

Local Time:
    I have a feeling we’ll be waiting an incredibly long time. Keramory hasn’t been on since the end of August and it appears Siegfre no longer has a “last seen on” in his user profile (which is concerning, as I don’t see any reason to do that).
  5. archaicINF

archaicINF Senior Member Senior Member

Local Time:
    He finally obtained Oneness with the system. If Seigfre did return he wouldn't be the Seigfre you knew. Like the Three Eyed Raven...
  6. Daikonran

Local Time:
    The Three Eyed Raven? I was thinking more like Carmen Sandiego...
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
  7. archaicINF

Local Time:
    Dope reference. Dammmmmmn, shots fired! Pew-pew-pew..! Pew-pew!
  8. Daikonran

Local Time:
  9. Daikonran

Local Time:
    So it appears @Keramory logged in Wednesday evening. I'm hopeful that his lack of response has to do with taking the time to compile this information and gather an official response from the development team :) Maybe I was wrong about having to wait an incredibly long time for a reply.
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2017
  10. Daikonran

Local Time:
    Hey @Keramory can you please respond sometime soon? We can see you've been lurking, so you must have read this thread.
  11. Quine

Quine Well-Known Member Senior Member

Local Time:
    12:48 AM
    Man, you trust the devs as much as i do, and this trust is waving, as is mine. I really hope that this is something like megaman corrupted, after 3 or 4 years, the game made whooping progress.
    Tell us @Keramory
  12. Raellia

Raellia Member

Local Time:
    9:48 PM
    We can only hope, but I'll not hold my breath. Their actions, or lack thereof, do not bode well at all.
    Quine likes this.
  13. JohnyBlack

JohnyBlack Active Member

Local Time:
    Why are you talking about bigotry and Financial burden? :Kappa:
  14. AzureKite

Local Time:
    1232.png
    blow him up boys
  15. AzureKite

Local Time:
    sieg.png
    Finds the time to post updates and messages to Tamriel Online but fudge the people and project that raised over $21k am I right?
  16. Siegfre
    • Staff / Administrator

Siegfre [IridiumBased] President Staff Member

Local Time:
    7:48 PM
    I am currently looking into a good solution for uploading the source code. Unfortunately the assets have to be separated from the project files, and the code has some slightly problematic dependencies on Unity addons and other libraries. With that said, it will go up, but I had hoped to make it much more usable.

Below is a brief overview of project related expenditures < 2017 (this includes donations not made directly through the site form)
    • Concept Art (Commissioned) - $2100
    • Custom 3D (Commissioned) - $1149
    • Hosting (Website & Database) - $3000
    • Unity Assets & Add-ons - $4741
    • Unity Pro License - $1500
    • Paid Back (due to misspending or life issue) - $880
    • Non-Assetstore Assets - $257
    • Basecamp, Dropbox Sub - $1082
    • 3ds max, Photoshop, Visual Studio Licenses - $5974
    • Photon Cloud (2013-2015) & Dedicated Host for SmartFox server - $774
    • Xenforo Licensing- $560
    • GDC Vault 1-Year - $550
    • Advertising (FB & Banner) - $708
    • Total - $23,275
    I very much did not want to have to post this, as my intention has always been to finish the project. But it seems that I will only be able to operate in a limited capacity for quite some time.

Additionally, in-regards to other projects like Tamriel Online, development is quite a bit different. If for instance I cannot do any programming for an indeterminate period of time due to work, there is no issue. With this project, there is not just me, there is the whole team that needs to be involved. Asking someone to constantly wait on me is not acceptable, and there hasn't been much success with any sort of long-term stand-ins for programming without pay, or teaching people to do in-engine updates.

All of this is not to say that nothing can be done, but there doesn't seem to be any quick fixes for large progress even in an ideal situation.

All credit for this message goes to AzureKite for messaging me on Discord.
  17. Siegfre
    • Staff / Administrator

Siegfre [IridiumBased] President Staff Member

Local Time:
    7:48 PM
    The basic Unity3D scripts can be found HERE.
  18. Daikonran

Local Time:
    Thank you for doing the right thing! Now hopefully someone in the community can pick up the project where it was left off or maybe someone can utilize that code to bring back a more simple R1 oriented project.
  19. archaicINF

Local Time:
    f60decb05b68fed35c12013165975b02.jpg.gif
  20. flamedog

flamedog Draeanale Senior Member Indiegogo Backer Parkour Master

Local Time:
    Thank you Seigy! For everything really.