Alpha Updates

Discussion in 'Mechanics and Design' started by Keramory, Jul 16, 2012.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 1 user.
  1. Keramory

Keramory Guest

Local Time:
    2:45 AM
    Be nice whats going into the current alpha before hand...or to discuss little things we can add in.
    ...such as...The Arena? 0o
  2. Aryth

Aryth Developer Senior Member Indiegogo Backer

Local Time:
    4:45 AM
    The arena would be an excellent way for me to see the combat system in action and make adjustments. I'd like to see it in some time soon.

I think we discussed testing quests as well, right?
  3. Keramory

Keramory Guest

Local Time:
    Yeah that'd be great as well. Adding the arena wouldnt be an issue, its a single model. Laziest way is just to plop it on a field (although it'd be cool to make it the lostground with ruins and weapons in the ground all over).

Yeah a simple quest test would be great as well.

I'm worried though about what someone said, I didnt get a chance to test the new update, but I'm telling you the models we have now (characters) are way to detailed >.<. I cant imagine many characters being near one another ending well.
  4. Akira

Akira Well-Known Member Senior Member

Local Time:
    I thought they were rather high detailed as well.
    Glad it wasn't just me.
  5. Siegfre
    • Staff / Administrator

Siegfre [IridiumBased] President Staff Member

Local Time:
    If it really bothers you I can use maximum model compression in the engine, the detail of the models should be negligible. But I'll test it with a bunch of them so don't quote me on that. For the arena, do you just mean just throw it in as a field, because we can do that, but that's the same as fighting on any other field. We'll be able to do quests, but not right away, they need a new place in the database.
  6. Siegfre
    • Staff / Administrator

Local Time:
    Also, I'm open to any other model suggestions or, if someone wants to optimize the character models then just let me know and I can send you the models.
  7. Keramory

Keramory Guest

Local Time:
    I was hoping we can make the DBZ arena into a lostground, as said before, with ruins around it and weapons pitted into the ground, Hidden Forbbiden Battlefield. If not though and you want to go lazy with it, into any field is good enough.
  8. Aryth

Aryth Developer Senior Member Indiegogo Backer

Local Time:
    Anything works for me. I'm not going to lie though, I'd really like to see Hidden Forbidden Battlefield happen.
  9. Siegfre
    • Staff / Administrator

Local Time:
    Either way is fine, one just takes longer than the other. Just having free for all combat doesn't necessitate a special field. But having a structured arena system on the other hand does.
  10. Vayu

Vayu Active Member Senior Member

Local Time:
    5:45 AM
    Well what we should focus more on currently are the actual animations... from what i saw before the combat animations were... awful really =/... get the basics down then worry about the more intricate stuff.
  11. Siegfre
    • Staff / Administrator

Local Time:
    Yeah, most of the time spent on coding up the arena really can be used to iron out the animations first.
  12. axlsjolund

axlsjolund Creative Director Senior Member

Local Time:
    5:45 AM
    I doubt the models are all that much of a problem. Looks at the models for Gears of War 3. They run on a system with only 512Mb of RAM, and 7 year old hardware. It's fine. As long as we optimize what we have, everything should be smooth as butter. There is nothing all that graphically intensive in the game, even by standards from 4 years ago.

As far as alpha. I cannot stress enough the importance of refining what we have, and going on a feature freeze until it's done. No more added content. Fix what we have, which is the core of the entire game.

Texture reapplications, shaders, optimizations, in-game options/menu (including button mapping/controls), new login screen, more HD textures, character animations, misc map updates, battle system, UI, etc.

While it may not sound fun for everyone wanting to add new stuff, if we focus on what we have now, we can make everything as a whole better, which will in turn make future additions to the game much easier than having to go back and update later. I wanna see our alpha performing with what we have at 60fps minimum.
  13. Keramory

Keramory Guest

Local Time:
    I'm only worried about the models because when I'm looking at current MMO's characters...which are insanely detailed...even they dont have mesh details that we have. Alot of it is flatout waste too.

But I agree there needs to be alot of fixes over major content, especially the battle system.